Two Dead Chicks with Mom

Elliemae1984

Songster
Sep 9, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I hatched 12 silkie chicks and gave them to my broody on the 29th.

They are in a coop with 3 other adults (2 roos, 1 hen). Within 3 days one chick was dead in the morning, it appears it was squished under mom when the other adults aggressively cuddle puddled on top of her.

So I added a wire cage to the coop to keep mom and babies safe. It’s been 3 days and I had another dead chick when I got home from work today. This one appears to have a broken neck (I’m thinking it might have gotten its head stuck in the wire of the crate and then it was bumped by mom and the neck broke?).

My question: what is your opinion of what I should do now. Leave them with mom as it and hope it doesn’t happen again? Bring them inside and brood myself? Something else?

Pic of the wire cage set up for reference:
IMG_3089.jpeg

Hope you have not lost any more since you put chicks and mom in a separate place.
This is better anyway so chicks can be fed their starter and not have access to adult food for the first couple weeks.
Baby chicks are so fragile, I usually wait until they are fully feathered before releasing into the general public
Good luck!

Hope you have not lost any more since you put chicks and mom in a separate place.
This is better anyway so chicks can be fed their starter and not have access to adult food for the first couple weeks.
Baby chicks are so fragile, I usually wait until they are fully feathered before releasing into the general public
Good luck!
Thanks! I’ve never lost chicks so this was rough!

They’re now in a separate coop all together. Seem to be doing well, hopefully that continues 🤞🏼

And hopefully it’s easy enough to reintroduce them when the time comes.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's hard. I lost my first chick this year too. It really took the joy out of it when you worry. I'd never lost any either. I'd be careful with the chicks and the rooster. They can be aggressive toward new chicks. I have to introduce mine to my grown hen as well and I'm worried. I'm going to do short field trips to the run when the weather gets nicer. And keep a close eye on the larger ones. I worry about a peck to the head because it can really hurt a chick. I wish you the very best and hope things go well from now on. I'm so sorry for the loss of the chicks. Best wishes. Hugs

Back
Top Bottom