Babies have arrived! Pics! And now with video!

Question: Is the bare spot on the back of Harley's neck normal? It doesn't look irritated or anything, and you can only really see it when she's a bit damp. You can see it really well at about 1:10 in the video. I was thinking it's fuzz falling out for new feathers, because I can feel all the pinfeathers coming in all over her. Nobody seems to be picking at her, and I think Pepper has the same thing going on, but it's harder to see because her skin is black.
Strange. I don't have WHs but I don't have anything like that on any of my Swedes. I was glad to see that yours are at that stage where their necks look a little goose-ish, and yours lay down to eat too lol. These are my first ducklings, so I'm learning all this baby stuff as we go lol I'm curious about Harleys spot though.....

Strange. I don't have WHs but I don't have anything like that on any of my Swedes. I was glad to see that yours are at that stage where their necks look a little goose-ish, and yours lay down to eat too lol. These are my first ducklings, so I'm learning all this baby stuff as we go lol

I'm curious about Harleys spot though.....

I've heard other people mention it online, but I've never seen anyone post a picture. It's a lot of "my 3 week old duckling has a bald spot on the back of her neck, is this normal" type stuff, but the only answers I've seen are "check the feed, make sure they get baths, make sure they're not picking each other".

The feed is good, I'm giving them Purina Flock Raiser crumbles with brewer's yeast, and peas and kale for snacks. They get a good bath twice a day when I clean the brooder; I fill up the tub after I wash it out and I let them swim for 10-20 minutes. I haven't seen them picking at each other, either, except when they're swimming they like to bite each other's feet. I don't know why, but it's only while they're swimming. I've never seen it any other time.

Mine haven't had that much swimming. I like hubby being able to help me and he's been out of town working too much. I wonder if the water is just washing the baby hairs out faster?? I'm feeding Manna Pro Gamebird/Showbird starter, and the occasional peas, green beans, and soggy cheerios for treats. I did a couple cups of probiotic because one sneezed a couple times lol.

LOL yeah, mine sneezed a few times and now the water has the sav-a-chick vitamins or ACV in it at all times. Seems to help, I rarely get sneezes anymore.

It's easy for me to do the baths, since they're brooding in the tub anyway. I roll up the towels, scrub down the tub, then fill it up with warm water and let everyone swim for a while. I think they'd mutiny now if I didn't let them have their swim. They KNOW it's coming because I'm running the water. Then when they're done, I rinse it out, wipe everything dry with a microfiber cloth, then put everything back in. Then they have a gorge, and a preen, and a nap. I sat in there for 30 minutes today watching them preen because they're so **** cute. Their feathers are definitely coming in, you can see the black and patterning under Harley's yellow fuzz. And there's feather casing dust in their fur. I would imagine that there's going to be dust EVERYWHERE in the next few weeks with the feathers coming in.

I never knew birds sneezed. What's it like? I've seen dogs do it.

Just a cute little ahCHOO! sound. They get things in their nose that irritates them just like we do, dust, whatever.

AND Google to the rescue (not my duck):
0.jpg

I freaked out when my pekins were showing a bit of a bald spot just like that, then later around the wing area. I also noticed most when they were wet from the bath. In my case, or rather my ducklings, it seemed to be just as you suspect, making room for the feathers. It quickly righted itself with the new growth. No worries.
My new ducklings are just getting there now too. dont freak. Sounds like your taking excellent care of them, it will right itself.

I freaked out when my pekins were showing a bit of a bald spot just like that, then later around the wing area. I also noticed most when they were wet from the bath. In my case, or rather my ducklings, it seemed to be just as you suspect, making room for the feathers. It quickly righted itself with the new growth. No worries.
My new ducklings are just getting there now too. dont freak. Sounds like your taking excellent care of them, it will right itself.

Awesome, thank you. I think it's easier to notice on the lighter colored birds, too.

Back
Top Bottom