Babies in nest! making 2nd clutch?? Parakeet/budgie

chickadee423

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 8, 2014
Sunny my female parakeet/budgie hatched a clutch of 4 babies a while back and they left the nest about a week ago, But they go in and out of nest as they please. Sunny has been mating and she laid an egg today! Will the eggs be safe with the older babies running in and out of box?

I too had this happen although i only had one baby in the nest when she laid her eggs. I left them and when she laid 3 eggs i candled them and they were all dead and one was punctured, that was only with one baby! I would deffinetly seperate babies from nest. If they are eating seed on their own then they will be fine all together and that way the mummy can be in peace and not too stressed out. As my female was still trying to care for her older babies as well incubate and it was just a disaster.

Hope this has helped.

Normally, mom will holler at the older siblings to stay out of the nest box. Are they fully ready to go or is dad still feeding them? if they are ready, you may want to move them out to a grow up cage. Spray millet if the ideal food to give to them while leaving their seed out. Babies love spray millet and will eat that first.

Older babies were put in a separate cage with another male that was with the parents, The male isn't the father and he took on feeding after the babies were moved, They are all healthy and happy. There are 5 fertile eggs and first baby should hatch anytime now :D

Back
Top Bottom