Babies mean to adoptive broody

I read online that feathers do not emerge until day 7-9 and 4 of them have feathers more than 1/4“ long. One of them jumped up on mama and was sitting on her back. That much I do remember from past babies… They did not eat right away and they certainly could not jump on top of mom as “day old” chicks. I did put the baby back after she was out for two hours. She immediately begin yanking on mama’s wattles, poking her eyes, and also pecking her siblings.
These babies are not more than 4 days old. Your last breed may have been slower feathering than these guys. My current batch of babies actually pecked momma hen so much that they made her bleed but they stopped after 3-4 days and all is well now.

These babies are not more than 4 days old. Your last breed may have been slower feathering than these guys. My current batch of babies actually pecked momma hen so much that they made her bleed but they stopped after 3-4 days and all is well now.
Thank you so much for all of your responses! I was so afraid they were older and would not bond with mama. I never saw babies be so mean to their mom before! She is such a sweet and gentle mom too.

I read online that feathers do not emerge until day 7-9 and 4 of them have feathers more than 1/4“ long. One of them jumped up on mama and was sitting on her back. That much I do remember from past babies… They did not eat right away and they certainly could not jump on top of mom as “day old” chicks. I did put the baby back after she was out for two hours. She immediately begin yanking on mama’s wattles, poking her eyes, and also pecking her siblings.
Feathers start to emerge when they're 2 days old. Also, the chicks I hatched myself started eating the same day they hatched.

Do you think it also seems normal to be able to jump on top of the mama (a large Cochin) at just 2-3 days old? And also to jump up 4 inches repeatedly to get out of the nesting box? I hope everyone is correct!
Yes, this is normal.

Back
Top Bottom