Babies not really active?

BrittBergh

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
Harvest, Al
This is our first time with ducks and Im comparing them to the baby chickens on this and the ducks are no where near as active as the chicks were at this age. They seem to only like to sleep and are extremely quiet. This is normal for ducks? We let them swim a little each day in a clean kitty litter box and warm water. The rest of the time they are in the brooder sleeping under a stuffed panda bear my daughter put in there. They are about 2 weeks old Im guessing

This is our first time with ducks and Im comparing them to the baby chickens on this and the ducks are no where near as active as the chicks were at this age. They seem to only like to sleep and are extremely quiet. This is normal for ducks? We let them swim a little each day in a clean kitty litter box and warm water. The rest of the time they are in the brooder sleeping under a stuffed panda bear my daughter put in there. They are about 2 weeks old Im guessing
Are they eating good? pooping good? do they play in their water? when you let them in water how are they acting?

They eat and poop A LOT!! I mean wow two little ducks out poop the chicks!!
They LOVE playing in the water, dip their heads in and wiggle their little tails all around it is adorable! It seems like the only real active time for them though. When we play with them they just sit on our chests don't try to run away or anything. Maybe they just like us but I dont know I thought they would be as active as chicks are

They eat and poop A LOT!! I mean wow two little ducks out poop the chicks!!
They LOVE playing in the water, dip their heads in and wiggle their little tails all around it is adorable! It seems like the only real active time for them though. When we play with them they just sit on our chests don't try to run away or anything. Maybe they just like us but I dont know I thought they would be as active as chicks are
Nope not as active as chicks, and if all the other things are working then I'd say they are normal, and they have bonded with you all. Is it warm enough outside for you to take them on an outing? I bet you'd see a little more activity out of them, When I had one lone duckling to raise because mama didn't want him, I'd take him outside and he would have the best time, of course he didn't want to get too far away from his mommie [that be me] but he was much more active outside than inside. Love to see some pics when you get a chance.

ducklings are easy going yet hardier than chicks of the same age .. Im thinking this will be easy to prove by comparing them swiming . im just going to take a wild guess that the ducklings will last the longest..
wink.png

As ML said, if you can get them outside for a bit you'll see more activity, i find ducklings go in spurts, sudden bursts of energy then they taper off, they grow much quicker than chicks and growth is hard work lol

My 5wk olds take quite the breaks in between foraging, sorta swimming(low laying water lol) and so forth.

Well I would love to share some pics of the babies!!
tongue.png
Fluffers is the more yellow one and Butters is the other one. They are both super sweet and love to cuddle right under your chin!!
We were going to play outside today but it was weirdly cold here! Hopefully it warms back up and we can play outside. We are getting a nice size pond insert for the yard for free from a friend this week for them!

Fluffers was playing in the water as it was pouring down so i think we need a waterfall lol

tongue.png
Fluffers is the more yellow one and Butters is the other one. They are both super sweet and love to cuddle right under your chin!!
We were going to play outside today but it was weirdly cold here! Hopefully it warms back up and we can play outside. We are getting a nice size pond insert for the yard for free from a friend this week for them!

Fluffers was playing in the water as it was pouring down so i think we need a waterfall lol

They are precious and look to be about 1 week old, and like GQ said go in spurts as far as activity, cuddling at that age is very important to them and you. They need a mommie.

tongue.png

They are beyond cute! honestly, my 5wk olds have yet to swim! it's been too cold... we snowed last night so their in for a shock this morning but it's much to cold for me to even bring them in the tub, my point being your pictures show they seem alert and active.. they appear to be doing well! enjoy this wee stage lasts but a minute.

Back
Top Bottom