babies piping....quick question!!!

well the other eggs have not started pipping yet but the chick that just hatched this morning has knocked the eggs all over the incubator -will that be a problem for the chicks trying to pip? (being that the eggs have turned and are no longer facing the same direction they were when they positioned themselves to hatch)
The experts say "no". It doesn't harm the chicks in the eggs. I personally pull my chicks as they get active and put them in the brooder. (As long as you have adequate humidty,) you should do what's most comfotable for you. Many leave the chicks till the hatch is over and have good hatch rates.

The "positioning" is the chick orienting with its head to the air cell end, head under wing. While the chick will normally pip at the deepest dip in the air cell (which seems to be natural as the shoulders are up in the higher side), the only time it would likely cause an issue is if the chick pipped exactly on the bottom of the egg and the egg could not move due to overcrowding.

I know mine wiggle themselves and get rolled all over. It's so cute to see a new-hatched chick snuggle up to a sibling still in the egg and hear them peeping at each other.

Thanks so much, that's what's happening...She's nestled up to the eggs and peeping but the egg hasn't peeped back yet. Any ideas on whether or not my chick will be ok if she's alone in the brooder? (worst case scenario other eggs don't hatch so she's lonely)??

Thanks so much, that's what's happening...She's nestled up to the eggs and peeping but the egg hasn't peeped back yet. Any ideas on whether or not my chick will be ok if she's alone in the brooder? (worst case scenario other eggs don't hatch so she's lonely)??
My very first hatch yielded one lonely chick, and it was an early fall hatch, so there were no feed stores carrying chicks to go get a buddy. He was loud and wanted attention...lol He ended up being out with us, more than he was in the brooder and the brooder ended up going beside the bed so he'd be quiet...lol He's beautiful (but special needs) roo. The chick will be ok alone for a bit. May not be all that happy, but if you have other hatchers, he'll soon be appeased. Or you can leave him in the bator till he has a friend that can be moved with him.

Ok thanks! she has been dragging around her little poo sack since 8:45 this morning. should I just clip it off it's just a attached by a tiny string of (birth) I'm guessing

Back
Top Bottom