Baby attacked by momma, help please!

Hep44

Songster
May 8, 2020
We had a baby hatch under momma and she tried to kill it. We now have it separated under a heat lamp, it is hyperventilating and unable to walk, but it has strength in both legs (it pushed against my hand when I picked it up). This is our first time hatching anything so I don't know what normal new chick behavior is. Any tips would be greatly appreciated

Some hens are just bad mums, not all hens turn out to be great mothers. the best thing to do is keep it under the heat lamp. Have you given it food and water? Also maybe it's hyperventilating because it's cold maybe pick it up and cradle it amongst blankets with a heat source, be its mother for now. When did it hatch my chicks couldn't walk properly for the first few hours.

Some hens are just bad mums, not all hens turn out to be great mothers. the best thing to do is keep it under the heat lamp. Have you given it food and water? Also maybe it's hyperventilating because it's cold maybe pick it up and cradle it amongst blankets with a heat source, be its mother for now. When did it hatch my chicks couldn't walk properly for the first few hours.
Not sure, probably an hour or so ago

I would leave it an hour or so to see if it gets better, if it doesn't get better I would recommend calling your local vet. Also if it's not walking because it's falling asleep every few seconds don't worry it's normal my chicks also randomly fell asleep and dropped on their legs every few seconds and they're healthy now at 5 weeks old.

Any news on your chick?
He's doing great! Perked up after a few hours under the lamp and we reintroduced him to mom after she was fine with another baby. The rest have hatched and they're all doing well!

Attachments

• Resized_20210518_070622.jpeg
    Resized_20210518_070622.jpeg
    562.8 KB · Views: 10
He's doing great! Perked up after a few hours under the lamp and we reintroduced him to mom after she was fine with another baby. The rest have hatched and they're all doing well!

Be careful, sometimes broodies reject a chick for some unknown reason. If you catch said baby peeping loudly away from mom while all the others seem happy/are under her, you need to take the rejected one away.

Edited because typo

Last edited:
Any news on your chick?
Change in condition:
He has declined throughout the day. My husband said he was lagging behind the others, and not able to walk very well. I just went to check and it was not all the way underneath her and I think close to dying. I guess earlier it's butt was plugged too, so my husband had cleaned it. It's very lethargic, I have it under a heat lamp. It wasn't very warm when I got to it.

It just passed 😪 I'm wondering if something may have been wrong with it before she attacked it...it's butt kept crusting over and it was twice the size of the other chicks

Back
Top Bottom