Baby bantam cochins are losing or not gaining weight

Blessedmamaof3

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Pomona, KS (eastern ks)
So I posted about this in the raising chick section but realized that this is probably a better place for this.
So I have 4 cochin chicks (3 bantam, 1 standard) that are 11 days old and the bantams are not really gaining weight. They seem ok and healthy otherwise. They have a heat plate in the brooder and don't show signs of being too hot or cold, they all eat and drink, though not nearly as often as the standard. They are not lethargic and run around fine though do stay under the heat plate a little more than the standard (1 in particular doesn't come out as often). I gave them nutridrench for several days to give them a boost, then decided to switch to corid, (i saw one slightly abnormal poo). How much weight should I expect bantams to gain in 11 days time? Anything else I can do for them? I am very worried about 1 in particular. I attached a picture that shows weights for the last days. Before that I was using ounces and realized grams was easier.
20210614_011839.jpg
20210614_011928.jpg
20210614_012005.jpg
20210614_011937.jpg
20210614_012010.jpg
20210614_012632.jpg

I think they look fine and you did alright. However, never give Corid unless birds have bloody poop. If they don’t have Cocci, don’t treat for it. Chicks will have diarrhea, runny, or abnormal looking poop. All should be normal and if it’s a little off (no blood in it) then leave it. Don’t treat for Cocci. They shouldn’t get it unless exposed to the outdoors. Bantams don’t gain nearly as much weight as LF as fast. Cochin Bantams in particular take ages to feather out.

I think they look fine and you did alright. However, never give Corid unless birds have bloody poop. If they don’t have Cocci, don’t treat for it. Chicks will have diarrhea, runny, or abnormal looking poop. All should be normal and if it’s a little off (no blood in it) then leave it. Don’t treat for Cocci. They shouldn’t get it unless exposed to the outdoors. Bantams don’t gain nearly as much weight as LF as fast. Cochin Bantams in particular take ages to feather out.
Everything I was reading said corid won't hurt and to use it if in doubt and early treatment is essential. Since the one chick especially hasn't grown or gained in over a week and had the abnormal poop, I was wanting to try something. The abnormal poop had red in it. Not sure if blood or something normal. I lost a bantam cochin a few months ago when it was 3 days old and was afraid of that happening again. I will go back to plain water.

Everything I was reading said corid won't hurt and to use it if in doubt and early treatment is essential. Since the one chick especially hasn't grown or gained in over a week and had the abnormal poop, I was wanting to try something. The abnormal poop had red in it. Not sure if blood or something normal. I lost a bantam cochin a few months ago when it was 3 days old and was afraid of that happening again. I will go back to plain water.
Yeah. Sorry. As long as there was blood in it, really 100% blood (not just darker turds themselves that look like blood) then I think you did the right thing. I’ve had a minor outbreak of Cocci before. Woke up one morning to see blood in the poop and lethargic chicks outside. Treated with Corid and none died from it. But I just caught it early. So yeah. Abnormal poop just depends on HOW abnormal. 🤷‍♀️

So I posted about this in the raising chick section but realized that this is probably a better place for this.
So I have 4 cochin chicks (3 bantam, 1 standard) that are 11 days old and the bantams are not really gaining weight. They seem ok and healthy otherwise. They have a heat plate in the brooder and don't show signs of being too hot or cold, they all eat and drink, though not nearly as often as the standard. They are not lethargic and run around fine though do stay under the heat plate a little more than the standard (1 in particular doesn't come out as often). I gave them nutridrench for several days to give them a boost, then decided to switch to corid, (i saw one slightly abnormal poo). How much weight should I expect bantams to gain in 11 days time? Anything else I can do for them? I am very worried about 1 in particular. I attached a picture that shows weights for the last days. Before that I was using ounces and realized grams was easier. View attachment 2718974View attachment 2718977View attachment 2718978View attachment 2718979View attachment 2718980View attachment 2718982
You got a good answer on your other thread. If they are acting normal/eating/drinking, then they should be fine. Bantams are going to grow a bit more slowly.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/baby-bantam-cochins-not-gaining-weight-normal.1475644/

Yeah. Sorry. As long as there was blood in it, really 100% blood (not just darker turds themselves that look like blood) then I think you did the right thing. I’ve had a minor outbreak of Cocci before. Woke up one morning to see blood in the poop and lethargic chicks outside. Treated with Corid and none died from it. But I just caught it early. So yeah. Abnormal poop just depends on HOW abnormal. 🤷‍♀️
"Cocci" is a bacterial infection. I think you mean Coccidiosis which is caused by Coccidia which are protozoa.
Coccidiosis presents with loose stool that has mucous or blood. Not all poop would have blood depending on the strain. There are 9 strains of Coccidia and only 2 present with blood.
Bird behavior should be observed as well - lethargy, not eating/drinking, huddling, ruffled/unkempt are all signs that birds should be treated as well.

Chicks can absolutely have an overload even when in the brooder - they do not have to be outdoors. Coccidia are found in poop and soil, so they have exposure while in the brooder.

Corid is mild and should not be harmful to the birds even if Coccidia overload is not the issue.

Here's some reading about Coccidiosis, hopefully this will help you and others reading this thread in the future:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry
https://www.thepoultrysite.com/articles/coccidiosis-in-poultry
https://www.freedomrangerhatchery.com/blog/coccidiosis-your-chickens-what-you-need-to-know/

Not all strains of coccidiosis produce bloody stools, so telling people not to give Corid unless they see bloody poop is not good advice.

e them a boost, then decided to switch to corid, (i saw one slightly abnormal poo). How much weight should I expect bantams to gain in 11 days time?
Are you weighing them? I suggest weighing them on a food scale, Weigh them daily, and if they aren't gaining at least a gram a day there might be a problem.

Likely Cecal poop if it is not constantly loose, it's bit more watery and tends to be more reddish brown in color. Diarrhea would be constant and lacking in the white cap we usually see.
I understand your concern after losing a chick previously, but if they acting normal and eating well they are likely fine.

Back
Top Bottom