Baby bantam cochins are losing or not gaining weight

It's also possible there's some kind of stress that's slowing their growth. I would make sure their brooder isn't drafty, and that nothing like a pet or child can get around the brooder and harass them.
Thanks, I don't think stress or drafts are an issue. The brooder was moved to our large garage/shop because I was concerned the ac was the reason for it staying under the heat plate more. We open a couple of the doors in the garage to get good air flow and not be too stuffy (no wind or drafts near brooder though). The temp in there ranges from 85 to 95 during the day and down to 75 at night. The kids aren't allowed by those chicks yet and the only time they might get stressed is taking out to weigh every night andwhenI clean the brooder.

Thanks, I don't think stress or drafts are an issue. The brooder was moved to our large garage/shop because I was concerned the ac was the reason for it staying under the heat plate more. We open a couple of the doors in the garage to get good air flow and not be too stuffy (no wind or drafts near brooder though). The temp in there ranges from 85 to 95 during the day and down to 75 at night. The kids aren't allowed by those chicks yet and the only time they might get stressed is taking out to weigh every night andwhenI clean the brooder.

Seems like you're covering all your bases then. Even if the weighing and cleaning are causing some stress, they should be getting used to it pretty soon.

Likely Cecal poop if it is not constantly loose, it's bit more watery and tends to be more reddish brown in color. Diarrhea would be constant and lacking in the white cap we usually see.
I understand your concern after losing a chick previously, but if they acting normal and eating well they are likely fine.
This is more what I meant, not exactly what I said. Just heard others say on a vet site for chickens (vets) that you shouldn’t treat for anything unless you really think it’s there. If the birds are standoffish or lethargic, and you are worried about cocci (coccidiosis)— then sure, give them the correct dosages of Corid to help. And it could have been Cocci. But if they don’t improve over time, then it probably wasn’t Cocci and there is no reason to continue treatment (And this is just my opinion. I am not a vet, obviously, so probably more wrong than right since I am not fact-checked).

I think that the chicks “looked fine” (as I said) because I have raised many Cochin Bantams and a few other bantam breeds. They grow very slowly and are around (or a tad more than) half the size of LF. they feather out slower, gain weight at slower rates, and are smaller and (May, just saying what I’ve heard right here) need more heat than the bigger birds (unsure on that to be honest, just repeating info). My Cochin Bantams are in and out of the heat source (heat plate) all day. They only go out when they get hot or need food and water. They have smaller crops than LF breeds, so don’t require as much to eat.

Quote[
Coccidiosis presents with loose stool that has mucous or blood. Not all poop would have blood depending on the strain. There are 9 strains of Coccidia and only 2 present with blood.
Chicks can absolutely have an overload even when in the brooder - they do not have to be outdoors. Coccidia are found in poop and soil, so they have exposure while in the brooder.
Chicks can absolutely have an overload even when in the brooder - they do not have to be outdoors. Coccidia are found in poop and soil, so they have exposure while in the brooder.

Corid is mild and should not be harmful to the birds even if Coccidia overload is not the issue.
That’s good to know it’s 2/9, not what I thought it was. If they’re lethargic, then is that a way to guess Cocci (yes, I do mean Coccidiosis from Coccidia) is present?
Yes, when I was typing out about Cocci in the brooder, I did think that it could happen, but doubted that it would be that common indoors. It can happen in wet and damp areas or if anything from outside is in the brooder. That’s what I have heard of happening, but never anything beyond that. Feel free to correct me/ add more info to this if need be.
Thank you so much for the info

Back
Top Bottom