baby behavior

buck431397

Songster
10 Years
Aug 29, 2009
Pilesgrove, NJ
After about a year and a half chickenless I fixed up my coop and got a new flock. Two 6 mo old hens ans a roo and four 2 month old pullets. The hens were ranging when I got them but the babies had never been out of the box. Theyre settling into their new coop and after a few nights of having to pick the babies up and put them back in the coop to sleep theyre starting to get the idea. But they are sleeping right at the dooor on the floor. The rooster and one hen are snuggling up in the box on the floor. This seems like strange behavior to me, particularly for the older ones. Seems like they should head up to the roost. Should I keep picking them up and putting them on the roost or will they learn? Should I expect differently from the older ones than the younger ones?

I'd put the older ones on the roost in the hope they will change their ways -- but I think I'd leave the little ones alone to do as they choose. I've never had to roost train any, but I've had them sleep elsewhere for a few months before they slept on the roost. The size difference may be what's keeping the little ones separate for now.

Back
Top Bottom