Baby Birds - unknown type- They actually hatched!!!!

MammaBear

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
SW PA
The electric inspector came out to the farm last week to inspect a new service we are having put in, and in one of the service boxes was a bird nest. He grabbed it and was getting ready to throw it down and I stopped him. I thought I would put them in the incubator and see what happened. 4 out of 5 HATCHED!!!! I have raised baby birds before from the newly hatched stage before, but none that were this small. Crows and a couple of common birds of unknown type...The first 2 weeks are very hard, after that it gets easier. Anybody have an idea of what they might be? I thought hummingbird but the beaks are wrong.
DSC_2610small.jpg

I don't know where you are located, but the egg looks like a house wren. I just had a pair put a nest in one of my boxes and I just found the tiny, reddish egg on the ground.

These guys are so little I am feeding them with tweezers and they are really too big. If hummingbirds are smaller, I wouldn't be able to take care of them. As it is I have to put my reading glasses on to feed them. I think this is the smallest living creature I have ever seen except for bugs and fish.

Looks like wrens, You can use exact baby bird formula with a small syringe but add calcium and vitamin d to it
smile.png
Congratulations! Baby Hummingbirds are the size of a pea.

Last edited:
Pea!! Jellybean!!! I am glad they aren't hummers!!!!

I am feeding a mixture that we have always used for birds. Cooked macaroni in water, raw hamburger in egg and when a little older I will add bread in milk.

I don't mean to be rude, but I also can't let anyone else reading this thread think what you're doing is ok. Not only is what you're doing illegal, but you are feeding a completely nutritionally deficient diet! That is poor quality protein, almost zero vitamins and minerals and not the right fat proportions. You are dooming them to metabolic bone disease and a short, pain filled life.

I can understand wanting to try to save them, but if you aren't even sure what kind of birds they are, and you have done no research regarding the proper care and raising on hatchlings, why do this? Its not fair to the birds.

Back
Top Bottom