Baby Birds - unknown type- They actually hatched!!!!

The shell type looks like a wren.

FYI, It is illegal, but I have to say that we do it because there is no rehab here and they put them down if you take them somewhere. My best friends husband is a vet so he helps and lets us know what to do and feed, plus we have 3 wild life rehab books that tells you diet of most types of animals.

I do agree though, they need protein, protein, protein, and lots of vitamins.

Yes be glad they are not hummers, they eat like every 15 minutes sunrise to sunset!

Last edited:
I WAS WRONG!

I have never done wrens but thought they were in the same classification as finches. They are invectvores, so exact will not work.their food needs to be very very watery at first or you will block them up, loose runny stools is a sign of overfeeding. They need to be fed every 20 minutes for 14 -16 hours But a good quality of cat kibble or ferret food. Apparently wrens are hard because they stress easily.

This makes alot but can be frozen in ice trays and can stay refrigerated

1 cup waters
1 cup premium growth kitten sood, . soak in the water amount until fully softened
2 boiled eggs
2 tbl spoons dried insects
1850 Calcium carbonate powder

From the book Hand- Rearing Birds by Laurie J. Gage, DVM and Rebecca S. Duerr

Put all in food processor

Since they like it runny you may need to add more water at first. Use a syinge and feed little bits at a time so they do not aspirate

Hope this helps

fl.gif
Good luck!

Quote:
Thanks for the recipe, that helps a lot. I was just using what we have always used (actually with good success) in the past. Any idea where I can get the calcium carbonate powder?

A proper diet and heat is all you need to raise most baby birds. It isn't hard. I was doing it as a little kid. lol

It may be illegal but I believe some laws shouldn't be enforced to rashly.
old.gif
Too bad you didn't find bluejays--they're awesomely easy to raise!
ya.gif

Yes,, not hard. The very fine oyster shell powder will work too
smile.png
They do need calcium, my daughter found an abandoned egg last year and made a home made incubator. I did not think it would hatch but it did. We gave it Exact which is not meant for most song birds and lacks calcium. The baby grew up crippled, It did learn to fly but hurt itself and got septic and died. We learned all the things not to do with poor skittles. Here is his story . Since we have sucessfully raised and released many babies. Today someone just gave us a baby blue jay that fell from the nest.

Last edited:
Tums? Great Idea!! Thanks!! They are doing well and they are getting a less wobbly and stronger. I do wish they were blue Jays!! They are awesome birds. (And much larger when they come out of the egg.)

I went to the neighbors for cat food, pet store for the bugs. The recipe was very easy to make. I can't thank you all enough for your helpful suggestions!!

Back
Top Bottom