Baby brooder dust

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by casadezorola, Feb 4, 2015.

1. casadezorola

casadezorola Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2015
    How do I minimize brooder dust? They will be in a garage, but do I need to tape off/cover the surrounding areas?

Trying to keep non-animal lovers happy ;)

Thanks!

2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    If you don't want dust on anything, cover it... keeping dust down with brooder chicks is an ongoing battle, lol... the problem is that they scratch up the bedding and crumbles a lot which creates dust, but the biggest problem is the chicks themselves... most of the dust is the shafts of their feathers crumbling off as their down is replaced with the feathers growing out... good luck! :)

3. mossyroo

mossyroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Mossy Head, FL
    We had ours in a sunroom off the bedroom. Started with 1 plastic tote then expanded to 2 (can kinda see in my avatar pic). Used pine shavings with a short experiment with sand which I didn't care for. The sand I used was from the yard and extremely fine which may have been part of the problem. Moved them out at about 4 weeks. Anyway, that room was very dusty along with spilled feed and pine shavings, but it did not get through the door into the bedrooom.

4. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Welcome to BYC[​IMG]. How is your brooder pen set up? I have seen very fancy where you go through a separate room, then into the brooder area. Mine is not fancy. It's a wooden 3'x3' box with wire bottom and wire top. We keep it in the garage in the spring. And there is dust. I won't lie. Keeping the pen clean will cut down on some of the dust.

5. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    Well, covering it up will keep the dust off it but there will still be dust of course. Don't ever raise quail if you don't like dust!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by