Baby buff orpy looks droopy, won't eat :(

Livipedia

Songster
6 Years
Nov 25, 2013
new here but I am desperately trying to figure out how to save my lil' nugget :( I just got them from a grange here in town, they were hatched about a week and a half ago and looked healthy when I got them. They were vaccinated for mareks and I put them on the stuff for cocci today. :(

The buff orpies are both droopy and lethargic. They spend most of their time sleeping while the other chicks play, and don't eat very much. I made both of them drink some sugar water with their regular cocci medicated water, and the big one perked up a good deal more, but the little one is really tired, she just goes off under the heating lamp to sleep and her wings are down low. This is my first time with baby chicks and I am not sure what I should do. :( I live in a city so I don't think there is a livestock vet here.

I got her to eat some egg yolk and gave her a little sugar water :( hopefully she'll make it :((

What does the chick's poop look like? Is it normal runny green orange? I noticed you put it on cocci treatment that is the reason I ask. Is the chick panting or labored when breathing? Is the chick the same size as the others or is s/he smaller? I am trying to figure out in order to lead you to the best advice and or treatment

The poop looks normal so far. She doesn't seem to be panting. The two orpies are a little smaller than the others. They both weren't doing so great, but the bigger one has perked up quite a bit since I gave her sugar water. The little one is mostly sleeping away from the others and droopy, but she seemed to really like the egg yolk I offered her and ate quite a bit. :( hopefully it will make her strong enough to live.

She ate a little more egg yolk and seemed a little less listless when I brought her up to make her drink and eat some more. Peeped loudly, etc. when before she barely made a noise. Hopefully I'm not just thinking wishfully. She still seems a bit wobbly and overly sleepy. The other chicks aren't picking on her, just leaving her alone while she goes to sleep in a corner of the brooder. I hope she gets better but I still don't really know what to do beyond that :(

Last edited:
Keep working with her, I have had to cull a chick because it wasn't thriving didn't want to eat or drink just basically gave up. Keep offering fresh water and sugar water scrambled egg and I would make her feed a mash just mix some warm water in and let it soak.

Update: One orpie is doing way better, she eats her normal food again and scratches around. Still sleepier than the other chicks, but definitely an improvement from giving her egg yolk with a dropper. The other one is still a bit sad but I think she is improving also.

I am giving them them medicated water with a little bit of unflavoured pedialyte mixed in, that seems to be helping. I separated them and stuck one of the more docile runts with them to encourage them to eat and drink. That seems to be working rather well, as they don't seem to get the idea as much when she's not around. Every half hour I've been dipping their beaks in the special water just to make sure they don't get dehydrated. For some reason my Americauna has grown SUPER fast even though she has the same hatch date, and she was bullying the sick ones a lot, so the separation helped a ton. I've kept her with the rowdier chicks.

I don't feel like I'm in the clear yet, but is there anything else I can do to hopefully speed their recovery along? Will update.

I think these chicks will live! They're both eating and drinking normally again. I'm so grateful for this forum, it gave me so much valuable insight! I was up all night babying them and it paid off.

Back
Top Bottom