Baby bunnies have pasty butt! Plz help!

SummerTheAnimalGirl

✝️Christ is everything!
Apr 7, 2022
Now I have another problem. On about four if the babies, they have what looks like pasty butt, but for a rabbit. It was extra cold last night which I feel like
Caused it.

I am assuming I need to clean it, but it is pretty crusty and knitted. Should I soak them? Or is that too much of a risk? Plz help! I know how bad this is for bunnies cause their digestive track is always moving. Thanks everyone!

How old are they? What are they eating? What environment are they in? Are they still with their mother/nursing? It's usually caused by an incorrect diet.
They should be weening between 6-8 weeks, by 8-10 weeks old they can start being sexually active and reproducing. They should have tons of Alfalfa hay and pellets. After 4-5 months of age, they should be eating Timothy hay and regular rabbit pellets. Cedar and untreated Pine shavings can be toxic to rabbits. Treated Pine shavings you get from pet stores in completely fine to use and is safe.

Last edited:
for are chicks, we soaked her bottom in warm water and then took a damp paper towel and gently rubbed it off, but i'm not sure if that would do it for bunnies.

You really need to find out the cause. How old are they? What are they eating? Do they have access to greens? If they do, take the greens away. I would go online and check out rabbit diseases.

Thank you very much for your help @cassie @beetaLiK and @ExoticPetOwner! I was able to clean the babies up and they are doing fine now. I soaked there bums which did the trick.

Now, to answer some of the questions. They will be 4 weeks old Friday. The past week or so they have started eating lots of hay and pellets and not only drinking mamas milk. I make sure they have constant supply of Alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets (I also supply Timothy hay for mama cause she likes that best) and fresh water. They don’t have access to any greens. I use paper bedding free of dye and safe for Bunnies. I think the cause was two things, it’s just part of the weaning process as their body adjusts from normal food, and it was extra cold last night (they are outdoor bunnies). We have brought them inside because we are having a big cold snap so they won’t be back outside until Sunday.

Thanks again for the help!

Thank you very much for your help @cassie @beetaLiK and @ExoticPetOwner! I was able to clean the babies up and they are doing fine now. I soaked there bums which did the trick.

Now, to answer some of the questions. They will be 4 weeks old Friday. The past week or so they have started eating lots of hay and pellets and not only drinking mamas milk. I make sure they have constant supply of Alfalfa hay and alfalfa pellets (I also supply Timothy hay for mama cause she likes that best) and fresh water. They don’t have access to any greens. I use paper bedding free of dye and safe for Bunnies. I think the cause was two things, it’s just part of the weaning process as their body adjusts from normal food, and it was extra cold last night (they are outdoor bunnies). We have brought them inside because we are having a big cold snap so they won’t be back outside until Sunday.

Thanks again for the help!
I'm happy they are doing better:ya

Back
Top Bottom