Baby button found sick this morning - huge swollen eye and nodding.

smallbluejellybean, I still have my fingers crossed for you. I am truly hoping the little guy pulls threw. I wouldn't give up on him yet. They seem to have a remarkable will to live.

JJ, Thanks for the info. I was just curious about what you would give. I will definitely keep this info in the unfortunate case that I may need it.

Last edited:
He is still sticking in there. He seems alot happier with his pals. The swelling is going down all the time, but he seems very tired. He gets up every so often and feed and drinks, but then has to have a lay down again.

Peewee thanks for your thoughts. I really hope he does pull through and I don't care if he only has one eye, as long as he is healthy.

Quote:
No Martha, it's not silly to be a caring human being. I am very happy to hear a negative coryza report. While it doesnt down play the severity of his condition it is a much better "case scenario" for you and the rest of your flock. Also if he makes it you will be able to house him with other birds and use him for breeding. So even though the lil guy is in bad shape there's a possitive bit of news for you. Dont underestimate the "majical quail healing powers" these guys have remarkable will to live and amazing healing powers as far as injury does, lets hope those transfer over to illness as well. Still pullin for ya!

Thanks Peewee and JJ,
Its hard for me to report that the little guy passed away last night. At least he was with his friends. When I took the body out, they cried for hours for him. I cleaned the brooder out again with bleach and all food and water containers were cleaned as well. The two other ones are thriving. I gave them their first meal worms this morning and they went nuts. It seemed to cheer them up.
Thanks for your support.
Coryza is very bad and people need to understand that what might end up as a simple bacterial infection could be much worse. I incourage people that keep birds - if you see one not looking itself isolate right away. Then clean everything with bleach water. Prevention is way better than the cure and in alot of cases there isn't one.
Take care
Martha

P.S. He was the surviving chick from the double yolker that hatched. He was the stronger of the two chicks, but my vet said that probably was the reason for the early hatching and the yolk problem.
But it was so interesting to see. My daughter took the egg shell to school with her to show her class - how one came out one end and the other came out the other. I had a photo of just after they hatched, will see if I can get it back from the school and scan and post it, as my husband deleted it off the memory card - grrrrr.

Last edited:
I am so sorry to hear that Martha. I was really, really hoping that the little guy pulled threw. Especially with the negative Coryza report. As you said at least he was with his friends and you still have two little babies to love on. I would love to see the pic of the egg shell. That is something I have never seen.

Back
Top Bottom