Baby Chick Behavior

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
I have four 2-week old baby chicks. They are all doing well and have been on corid for 4 days. Tomorrow is the last day for the meds and everything’s looks fine...no more blood in stools, all eating and drinking. Enjoyed a dirt bath this morning and some grit earlier today. I am just curious about one of the chicks behavior. She would pick up a piece of pine chip and run around the brooder chirping. She did it twice. It looked like she was playing...although I have never seen that before because these are my first chicks ever. Just want to be sure it is nothing to be concerned about health-wise...anyone??? Thanks!

I have four 2-week old baby chicks. They are all doing well and have been on corid for 4 days. Tomorrow is the last day for the meds and everything’s looks fine...no more blood in stools, all eating and drinking. Enjoyed a dirt bath this morning and some grit earlier today. I am just curious about one of the chicks behavior. She would pick up a piece of pine chip and run around the brooder chirping. She did it twice. It looked like she was playing...although I have never seen that before because these are my first chicks ever. Just want to be sure it is nothing to be concerned about health-wise...anyone??? Thanks!
She thinks it's a prize and is "running away with it".
I've never figured out why they have to make the great announcement that they've found something. It just encourages a big game of keep away.

Totally normal... she’s saying look what I found! You can’t have it, but chase me and be jealous! It’s practice for when they are bigger - my grown chickens do the same thing when they get something super awesome like a fig or a big grub. They run around with the other ones chasing them until they find a spot to be alone and break it up and eat it.
So freakin’ adorable.

My smallest chick in the brooder loves catching flies.. He/she also runs around like someone with a brand new toy showing off until he/she finds a quiet place to drop it before eating it.. I call him/her Merlin. It's magical the way he/she jumps up and catches them.

Back
Top Bottom