Baby chick can't swallow.

Is the water you're giving them warm? I just ask because once I had a duckling do something very similar when I gave them cold water. It was just him, none of the others did it.
It's cold-ish when i change it, probably room temperature after. Thank you though, i'll try to gice it warmer water.

Actually it can eat just fine. It's displaying the simptoms i mentioned when trying to drink.

This is what happened when my nephew fed my ducklings their food without soaking it in water first:

Have you looked into its mouth and throat to compare it to a normal chick's? You may see something not quite right.

Tongue? is it coated with a white film? Swollen? Any part not a normal pink?
Do you see food coming back up? Is it coughing or sneezing?

Is the chick abnormally chirping or continually chirping? Does it chirp rapidly when it poops? Does it appear to be straining? Is its vent swollen?

Is it lethargic or lively? Does it prefer to stand still in one place with its wings drooping?
hi, I'm someone else having a bit of a problem and even though it's been a long time since this reply I hope you can help me out. one of my chicks has some dark substance stuck in its bottom beak at the entrance and it seems like it can't swallow a seed it ate, it's also not running around with he rest of the chicks and is standing in one place while slightly swaying. I'm not sure what's wrong with it or how to fix it so please help

Hello, i've just hatched a small brood of chicken and i'm having some trouble with one of them, help me out please?

1) What type of bird , age and weight: mixed breed, 3 days old chick. It's about half the size of the others, but it was that way when it hatched. It's likely the mother is the one half-sebright hen in my flock and that accounts for the size.
2) What is the behavior, exactly: After trying to drink water, it keeps extending its neck and opening its beak, and looks like it's struggling to swallow.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms: about a day and a half, since it started to eat and drink a bit.
4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms: no.
5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma: after it hatched it had spraddle leg. Bound it and it can walk fine now, no signs of injury.
6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation: it had some trouble hatching, nothing else i know of.
7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. I'm giving them starter feed and in the morning i also boil a egg and mix it with some cottage cheese. It' s pecked at both, but not with much interest, and i'm not sure how much it's actually ingesting.
8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc: Normal, if infrequent.
9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Dribbled some water along its beak, kept it warm. Massaged its crop after it tried to drink, which seemed to help a bit. The crop was soft, definately had liquid in it and maybe a bit of food.
10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? If needed, i'm willing to try a vet, but I doupt anyone around here will be much help with a baby chicken.
11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
12) Describe the housing/bedding in use Indoors for now, pet pad on the floor of the cage.

Thank you in advance for the help!
I know this thread is a few years old but I was hoping to see a positive update of the outcome? I have a days old chick exhibiting similar symptoms and I’m giving her my all, hoping she makes it.

Back
Top Bottom