Baby chick crowing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ljf24, Jun 9, 2009.

1. ljf24

ljf24 Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    I have a baby chick. He/she is 3 days old. When I checked on it earlier it was making a very loud screech sound. Could it be trying to crow? It has a very aggressive attitude. If I stick my hands in the brooder it will chase my hand and peck me. Is it a baby roo or do some baby hens act this way too?

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Songster

Feb 23, 2009
    I've had both do that. They both bump chest also when playing.

3. txredneckmedic

txredneckmedic Songster

Apr 20, 2009
    Ive noticed my 3 week old pullets will run up and try and bite me if i mess with them after bedtime

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:3 days is pretty early for a crowing attempt, I think it's a message of some sort.

Is that your only chick? You didn't mention any others. Chickens are very social and need buddies, they will also shriek when lonely, too hot, too cold, hungry etc.

It might be pecking you for food also, is there food in the brooder all the time?

5. ljf24

ljf24 Songster

Jun 4, 2009
    TN
    Quote:3 days is pretty early for a crowing attempt, I think it's a message of some sort.

Is that your only chick? You didn't mention any others. Chickens are very social and need buddies, they will also shriek when lonely, too hot, too cold, hungry etc.

It might be pecking you for food also, is there food in the brooder all the time?

It always has food,water,and heat, but now that you have told me this it is probably shreiking for a buddy. Now I will have to find him one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: