Baby chick infected eye

Hana123

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2020
hi I bought and hatched chicken eggs for the first time and apparently one of the chicks what I think is an infected eye it’s 2 days old and was thinking to take it to the vet but turns out to be expensive. I tried cleaning it with water and also dropped so tea in it! Please give me instructions on what to do and how to treat it! It also has a string like thing coming out and not sure if its poop or not I tried pulling it but was scared if they actually had a belly button cord 😅
14ABA6A3-5164-4C9A-98A7-1F74D874DDE0.jpeg
195E5BDF-63F4-4A6A-B508-8C07752F0C3D.jpeg
39347B07-7386-4E38-A044-EFEF45DA23EF.jpeg

it doesn’t really look infected to me. did another chick peck her? I would rinse it out with a 0.9% saline solution.

To make this at home, dissolve 1/2 tsp salt in 1cup of water. bring to a boil.

Make sure it’s cool before you use it!

I squirt this solution into my bird’s eye with an eye dropper. Then I gently dab the area around the eye dry, and apply a bit of coconut oil on the eyelid.

If it is indeed an infection, I believe you can use neosporin to treat...

it doesn’t really look infected to me. did another chick peck her? I would rinse it out with a 0.9% saline solution.

To make this at home, dissolve 1/2 tsp salt in 1cup of water. bring to a boil.

Make sure it’s cool before you use it!

I squirt this solution into my bird’s eye with an eye dropper. Then I gently dab the area around the eye dry, and apply a bit of coconut oil on the eyelid.

If it is indeed an infection, I believe you can use neosporin to treat...
i really don’t have any experience in chicks and when I saw it I thought it might be an infection could you please look at this one more picture and see if you could tell what it is?
64FF13C5-9076-4ED2-A6AF-4BA3993BFD07.jpeg

I agree with what yakitori said.

There are antibiotic eye ointments at farm stores or online if you are worried about a possible infection. I personally keep terramycin in my poultry first aid kit. It's a little pricey but I know there are cheaper options online.

The cord is an umbilical of sorts. It connected the yolks sac to the egg. It should dry up and fall off in the next few days.

Back
Top Bottom