Baby chick is acting strange

Mychix2018

In the Brooder
Mar 8, 2018
I have six chicks and they are about two weeks old . One of the barred rocks is acting strange and was under heat brooder all day.... she was super active when she first arrived but now when I took her from under he brooder (eco glow) she just stood in the middle while the other chicks ate food or drank. She was just standing there not moving. I took her out with another chick and noticed her try to hug and cuddle with the other chick. I put her back under heat brooder and she walked in. I’m hoping she is fine. Any thoughts? Not sure if there is something wrg. She was sooooo active in the beginning and now all of the chicks are getting more active and she slowed down tremendously. no pasty butt btw. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
This is typical behavior of a failure-to-thrive chick. They have genetic abnormalities and sometimes underdeveloped organs. They aren't able to process nutrients efficiently so they aren't generating heat and cell growth from caloric intake. That's why they reach a point where they run out of energy and they can't seem to get warm, wanting to huddle under the heat source when the other chicks no longer need it as much.

Your chick has hit a wall, so to speak. It's run out of gas and it will stall and die unless you can get nutrients and food into it before it becomes too weak to eat and drink. Poultry Nutri-drench can jump start the chick enough to where you can get it to eat again. I usually start with finely minced boiled egg, continuing with the Nutri-drench until the chick is out of the woods.

This is typical behavior of a failure-to-thrive chick. They have genetic abnormalities and sometimes underdeveloped organs. They aren't able to process nutrients efficiently so they aren't generating heat and cell growth from caloric intake. That's why they reach a point where they run out of energy and they can't seem to get warm, wanting to huddle under the heat source when the other chicks no longer need it as much.

Your chick has hit a wall, so to speak. It's run out of gas and it will stall and die unless you can get nutrients and food into it before it becomes too weak to eat and drink. Poultry Nutri-drench can jump start the chick enough to where you can get it to eat again. I usually start with finely minced boiled egg, continuing with the Nutri-drench until the chick is out of the woods.
Oh no.... I was afraid of this... poor chick. I will see how she is in the morning and see if she will take in some food. I did just try feeding her regular chick feed but she didn’t peck at all and was uninterested.
I think sadly your right

Many times when they get like this it's a up hill battle. They say that the strong survive this is sometimes Mother Nature's way of weeding out the weak. I find many times if you are able to pull them through this time many times they are never truly healthy and you end up taking special care of them. Good Luck let us know how you are doing.

Many times when they get like this it's a up hill battle. They say that the strong survive this is sometimes Mother Nature's way of weeding out the weak. I find many times if you are able to pull them through this time many times they are never truly healthy and you end up taking special care of them. Good Luck let us know how you are doing.
Thanks for your post! I’m hoping in the morning she is better but it sounds like it’s what I feared.:(

I'm not just doing an ad for Poultry Nutri-drench. The stuff is formulated for sick chickens and it gets right into the blood stream without having to go through the liver. In a FTT chick, this could mean the difference between life and death since their liver may not be fully operational.

It will give the chick a quick boost of nutrients, and if it has any chance of making it, this will give the chick the energy to begin eating. I had such a chick a few years ago, and it revived on Nutri-drench and began eating again. In two days, it was competing for food with the other chicks like a demon. The transformation was that dramatic.

Do your best for the slower chick with the good suggestions of giving extra nutrition & hydrating. It may end up being your favorite & closest one. All we can do, is our very best quickly, & give them a good chance; it's worth the effort. Best wishes.

Do your best for the slower chick with the good suggestions of giving extra nutrition & hydrating. It may end up being your favorite & closest one. All we can do, is our very best quickly, & give them a good chance; it's worth the effort. Best wishes.
Thank you!!! I’m gonna try for sure

Back
Top Bottom