Baby chick just hatched HELP!!!!!!!

Double T

Chirping
9 Years
Mar 11, 2011
W Texas
One of my hens has been setting 5 eggs, that I got from my brother, three were broken mid set, and we were down to 2. I checked today and one tried to hatch but only made it half out of the shell and was dead and the other was trying to get out, so I helped it. I have ‘him’ in a box under a heat lamp in the house (the hen took off and wouldn’t come back). He’s not fully dried yet, but hasn’t tried to stand, he’s chirping a lot, and flopping around. HELP! Do I need to do something different? Am I doing it right?? I'm used to raising hroses and dogs and kitten, this is a new thing to me. His butt is a bit bloody also, came out of the egg that way, is this normal??

They hatch with a bit of blood sometimes near the tummy where they were attached to there yolk sac. If it's not actively bleeding a lot it will be fine. And they do flop around for quite sometime right after hatching. It takes them time, sometimes hours and hours, to get their strength and their coordination after hatching. By tomorrow it will be standing and fluffing up. Keep it warm and wait. Good luck. Sorry you lost the others. Try giving the lone chick a little stuffed animal for company if you can.

I DON'T KNOW MUCH AS I AM NEW TO THIS TOO, BUT MY HUSBAND SAID NEVER HELP THEM OUT IT CAUSES THEM TO BE HANDICAPPED. AND I HAVEN'T SEEN ANY THAT HAD BLOODY BUTTS. HOPE THIS HELPS .
fl.gif

ok im no expert at all and i've only hatched once so ill tell you my experience....tickles was born a little bloody and very wet i very gently wiped her over with a damp cloth not wet, just to see if there was any injury and there wasnt ...i put her in an old beanies under the lamp NOT hot tho ...and let her dry she was chirping heaps and just layed there but by days end she try moving around abit put a tiny bit of water and chick starter or farex on something in the corner of the box or whatever you have her in (i used old jar lids just so if it did stumble it it it wouldnt drown) hope all that helps as i said i am no expert im just a novice also , just sharing my experience

Just so I know, did I do something wrong? The hen hadn't helped the other one out of the shell (it was half in half out and dead), and she hauled butt and wouldn't go back in the box. Should I of left the chick in there anyways? Would she of come back? They need a heat lamp don't they to stay warm right after they hatch?

Back
Top Bottom