Baby chick laboured breathing

Chicks should be started around 88 degrees as day olds, temp measured directly under the heat source on the floor. Keep the heat off to one side, food and water off to the other side where it's cool. They need places to cool off. Lower the temp by 5 degrees each week. The chick may be overheated.
Exactly how it's set up right now temperature too so they should be okay as long as they aren't ill

Make sure this little one has had water. Dip his beak in the waterer and set him in front of the waterer.
They have already learned to drink and do so about every half hour by what I see. could be more often or more spaced out, just an estimate

Wait I think you missed one post, the chick that had laboured breathing had already died. The other chicks are doing great though eating and drinking on their own sorry if I took up your time
Oh gosh, I did miss that, I am so sorry you lost her! :hugs Glad the others are doing well!

It's okay, thanks if it was anything serious I'm a little glad that she didn't have to live a hard life
It's always heartbreaking to lose them, no matter how old they are. Unfortunately not all of them make it to adulthood. I doubt it was anything contagious and such, some are just weak. Enjoy the rest of your babies!

It's always heartbreaking to lose them, no matter how old they are. Unfortunately not all of them make it to adulthood. I doubt it was anything contagious and such, some are just weak. Enjoy the rest of your babies!
Yeah it is part of life, if she died there was probably have been something wrong and if she grew up to have eggs it would have just spread down generations. Now that I'm writing this, I wonder why are baby chicks so vulnerable to deformities?

Yeah it is part of life, if she died there was probably have been something wrong and if she grew up to have eggs it would have just spread down generations. Now that I'm writing this, I wonder why are baby chicks so vulnerable to deformities?
Chickens have been overbred especially from these hatcheries. And genetics get handed down from the parents and several generations before. This overbreeding definitely makes their immune systems weaker and of course all sorts of unwanted issues get passed down into our birds. Heritage breeds are healthier because they aren't overbred, I've been meaning to try Heritage breed but haven't yet.

Back
Top Bottom