Sudden death of two chicks?

duncanlutz

Hatching
Mar 7, 2024
Hey all,

This is our third time getting chicks and have never experienced anything like this.

We got new chicks last Friday, a couple of days ago we separated a chick out because her toe was bent out and we needed to splint it until it had time to heal (the other chicks wouldn't leave the splint alone). I checked on her over the day and she seemed fine, but when I checked back in the afternoon she was laying there breathing hard. We thought it was maybe overheating so I got some water in her and cooled her off, but she passed after about fifteen minutes.

Then this morning I checked back in, everything fine, and I just checked again and another one was laid out dead?

We've been doing consistent pasty-butt checks, they have plenty of food and water, proper heating and enough space. Does this sound like an illness of some kind? It's coming on very fast.

Thanks for any input you have to help treat our chicks.

What is the bedding? What is the temp under the heat lamp/heat plate? Can they get away from the heat?
They're in pine shavings for bedding, and under the heat lamp is ~90 f now, they're in our living room because our shed is still a little too cold radiantly to keep them out there. And yes they have a few feet to get away from the heat, we keep their food and water on that side so they can venture over occasionally and don't stay under the lamp all the time

They're in pine shavings for bedding, and under the heat lamp is ~90 f now, they're in our living room because our shed is still a little too cold radiantly to keep them out there. And yes they have a few feet to get away from the heat, we keep their food and water on that side so they can venture over occasionally and don't stay under the lamp all the time
I should also say they're generally well spread out, not avoiding the heat lamp but not all clumped up together for warmth

Back
Top Bottom