Baby Chick (Long Horn) Shakes!

kirstenbar

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 15, 2012
All our other chicks are doing great but as of last night one of the baby long horns is shakeing when she stands, sits, walks ect.... the others dont do this and temp is where it should be. Also she has been eating and drinking and her poo looks ok. So what can this be? Should I remove her from the other chicks or what? Please help!

maybe your chicken has this

Infectious Laryngotracheitis

Incidence: common chicken ailment worldwide

System/organ affected: upper respiratory tract

Symptoms: (mild infection) watery inflamed eyes, swollen sinuses, nasal discharge, drop in egg production.(acute infection) nasal discharge, coughing, shaking, breathing through mouth, gasping.

Cause: a herpes virus that affects primarily chickens and pheasants and cannot live off the bird.

Transmission: highly contagious: inhaled virus from infected bird or contaminated litter, rodents, shoes, etc.

Prevention: flock isolation and scrupulous sanitation.

Treatment: none; cull.

Just an update! All the other chicks are still well and not sick! The one with the shakes is still alive. Could this also be a nerve problem? Or a vitamin problem. That is what Im checking into. Also Im going to call the hatchery and find out if they have seen this before. We are to move them out into the coop soon so Im hioping to get this all sorted out before that! Would hate to have to cull them all. Ill keep you updated!

Update! All chicks are doing fine! The one with the shakes is still shaking so we are looking into things on her. I have noticed if I hold her close she stops skaking! So I'm just glad all our other babies are doing great!

Well our friend that is a vet checked the chick out and sad it was nuro problem. None of the other chicks got sick so we are in the clear! I ended up putting the ckick down. (Hubby made medo it! He said he would get rid of it though!) So all is well at this chicken coop!

Back
Top Bottom