Baby chick malnourished

Rayba

Chirping
Apr 15, 2021
On Easter I acquired baby chicks. I've noticed a black chick that hardly ever comes out from the heat lamp/broader. I've also noticed that he can hardly apply pressure on one leg and flaps his little wings. He does come out to eat but compared to the other chicks he has hardly grown and is really small. What can I do to help him. I don't want to kill him. Please help. Sincerely, Ray

X2
I would go with Nutri-Drench according to the dosage on the label.
Another thing that would really help is some Gro2Max poultry probiotic powder.
https://gro2max.com/
Baby chicks that come out of an incubator are hatched with a clean slate gut biome unlike those hatched under a hen and they get some of the hen's gut bacteria right away. So incubator chicks' guts are in a race between beneficial yeasts and bacteria as opposed to harmful bacteria.
A gut populated with healthy bacteria allows greater absorption of nutrients from feed.

He does come out to eat but compared to the other chicks he has hardly grown and is really small. What can I do to help him.

What are you feeding them?

If it is chick starter (little crumbles), some tiny chicks have trouble because the pieces are too big for them. (Tiny pieces, but maybe not tiny enough.) You can get some wet with water, and that may make it easier for him to eat. Chicks also act like it tastes better wet, which might encourage him to eat more. Just serve it on a plate or a tiny dish (a jar lid makes a good dish for little chicks.)

X2
I would go with Nutri-Drench according to the dosage on the label.
Another thing that would really help is some Gro2Max poultry probiotic powder.
https://gro2max.com/
Baby chicks that come out of an incubator are hatched with a clean slate gut biome unlike those hatched under a hen and they get some of the hen's gut bacteria right away. So incubator chicks' guts are in a race between beneficial yeasts and bacteria as opposed to harmful bacteria.
A gut populated with healthy bacteria allows greater absorption of nutrients from feed.
I'm wondering if his hurt leg is preventing him from eating as much as the others?

What are you feeding them?

If it is chick starter (little crumbles), some tiny chicks have trouble because the pieces are too big for them. (Tiny pieces, but maybe not tiny enough.) You can get some wet with water, and that may make it easier for him to eat. Chicks also act like it tastes better wet, which might encourage him to eat more. Just serve it on a plate or a tiny dish (a jar lid makes a good dish for little chicks.)
Yes ma'am. It's the chick starter that's medicated.

Back
Top Bottom