Baby chick natural antibiotic

PolloGal

Songster
Aug 19, 2020
Eastern TN
Hi. I have a young poult (3 days old) that we had to pop the hock tendon back into place. There was also a tiny skin tear. I put triple antibiotic on it and wrapped it good. But, I was wondering if there was a natural broad spectrum antibiotic that would be safe to give this little one in water…to prevent or get rid of (if there is one already) any infection?? Also, safe to soak the foot and part of the leg in warm water and Epsom salt? Or use arnica gel if that will reduce the swelling at this point? Just want to make him safe and more comfortable. Thanks.

I agree that you should not start antibiotics on a baby bird unless you are 100% sure there's an infection.
I also thank you. Should reconsider wrapping up a leg unless you are 100% sure you wrapped it correctly. Otherwise you can make it worse.

Can you take a clear photo of the unwrapped leg or even better a clear video?

What are you feeding the poult? Sometimes, slipped tendon (perosis), is caused by a vitamin, mineral, or amino acid deficiency. Like ducklings & peachicks, turkey poults need more of some vitamins and amino acids than chicks, so if you're feeding chick starter, I suggest you switch to a turkey/gamebird starter asap.

She doesn't need an antibiotic for a tear, the bacetracine is good enough.
Thanks. Is changing the bandage once a day enough do you think? We put it on this morning.
The bandage has some blood on it but just a bit and she is just so exhausted I hate to put her through anything else today.

Back
Top Bottom