Baby chick not growing?

MadisonC

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Hello, everyone! Before I go on to explain, I'd just like to say a quick thank you in advance for any and all help! :)

Okay, so my mother and I had gotten 5 chicks on the 23rd of March so that we could get started with laying hens(fingers still crossed for no Roosters:fl). We got 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 3 Bantams of various breeds, which we have narrowed down to one definitely being a Golden Sebright and the other more than likely being a Polish chick, which left us with our last little one that we have taken to affectionately calling "Baby" until we know whether it's a Rooster or Hen. Well, my concern is that, when we got Baby, the reason I picked it was because of how small it was, smaller than the other chicks that appeared to be the same breed, and just overall how adorable it was. As it was so small and based on it's wing feather development, I chalked it up to being a newer hatch compared to the others and didn't think much of it.

On the 28th, we added 2 Bearded Silkies to our little flock bringing us up to 7 total and by then we already noticed significant growth in the 2 Wyandottes, the Sebright, and the Polish, but little to none in our little mystery Baby despite that she's now at least 2-3 weeks old. Now my concern is that could there be something wrong with Baby? It's wing feathers are developing steadily, it's poop is solid and not even slightly runny, it eats and drinks fine and often, and it is about as active as the other chicks. So overall it doesn't seem like there's anything actually wrong, but because I'm so new to this I was hoping to see if any could help shed some light on this.

Could something be wrong, or do I just have a delayed grower on my hands?:confused:

Last edited:
Some are smaller and some fail to thrive and generally die in the first month or so. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom