Baby chick not moving?

somissemilyy

Songster
9 Years
Jun 5, 2010
Coldwater, MS
I have a baby RIR chick pullet that isn't moving at all like that other ones. She try's to walk and she acts like she can't keep her balance. All she is doing is sitting down, with her eyes closed and when we picked her up she didn't have anything wrOng with toes, wings, legs or anything. What should we do? Dad thinks that she may die by the time morning comes.

Please help me!
sad.png

Also she is about 1 1/2 weeks old, about.. She isn't cold when you pick her up either. I just don't want any of the other ones to get whatever she has!

Same size as other ones. I tried to give her water myself and wouldn't drink. No crusty nose beak or anything. I haven't seen her poop since I have seen her like this.

I am hoping another member sees this and can tell you what exactly to do. I am going to do my best until then.

I'm thinking...

1) She could have been injured by another chick.
Not much you can do if you don't see the injury.

2) She was born with a problem you can't fix.

3) She isn't getting the right food.
If you are feeding chick starter then probably not this one.

4) Illness that I hope someone else can identify.

I would give her vitamins (polyvisol <Spelling?> without iron). This can be found in the baby meds section of almost any pharmacy or grocery store.
If you don't have that then just offer sugar water or gator aid or pedialite. This will keep her hydrated and the sugar may perk her up.

See if she will eat a little bit of egg yolk from a boiled egg.

fl.gif
I really hope she pulls through.

Last edited:
I had one like that this year...just this week. Sometimes they are a little slow in figuring out how to feed and drink once they can no longer live on the yolk sac after the first three days of life. So I took my chick out of the brooder and into a separate box with all the necessities...heat lamp, food on the paper towel (no shavings), and water. I gave her a drop of Polyvisol liquid childrens vitamins (no iron, get it at any pharmacy or grocery) twice per day. After the first 24 hours I started letting her be in the brooder for 15 minutes a few times each day. I wanted her to see the other chicks eating from the feeder and drinking water. Within a few days she was much better and after three days I put her back in the brooder with all the other chicks. She is still smaller than the others but catching up. I also noticed when she was not doing well that she seemed to breathe faster than the other chicks and she had a difficult time getting around...she would just sit there. And if she was standing and got knocked over she would lay on her side for quite a while like a turtle on its back!

Hopefully yours will perk up after a few days of special care.

Back
Top Bottom