Baby chick not right

Brabra

Songster
Nov 29, 2022
I got a wyandotte chick from tractor supply, I didn't notice until I got home that it was a little runty, it was also very lethargic and wouldn't eat. I gave it some nutridrench and fed it boiled egg. By the end of the day it had good energy. I've been giving it boiled egg everyday I don't think it's eating chick feed....maybe when it's in the brooder it does but when I throw feed it doesn't respond while the rest go crazy. I have now had it 5 days and today again it looked really weak and looked like it was straining to poop so I looked for pasty butt but vent was clear. I gave it a little more nutridrench but it really didn't want any. Now it's just snuggling with me ☹️. Also making some gurgling noises

Last edited:
Give it some coconut oil in case it's constipated. This is a common issue with failure-to-thrive chicks, which this is likely one.

Measure out a teaspoon of coconut oil and divide it into pea size bits. Chill until hard. This will make it easy to pry open the beak and slip the chilled oil in piece by piece. You should see a poop within an hour or two, or at least overnight.

[/QUOTE]
Give it some coconut oil in case it's constipated. This is a common issue with failure-to-thrive chicks, which this is likely one.

Measure out a teaspoon of coconut oil and divide it into pea size bits. Chill until hard. This will make it easy to pry open the beak and slip the chilled oil in piece by piece. You should see a poop within an hour or two, or at least overnight.
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Not always, although they tend to remain smaller than their flock mates. The problem is that many have underdeveloped organs and this is what retards their growth, not being able to process nutrients efficiently. Frequent feedings of high protein easily digested foods such as boiled egg and tofu can help them.

Not always, although they tend to remain smaller than their flock mates. The problem is that many have underdeveloped organs and this is what retards their growth, not being able to process nutrients efficiently. Frequent feedings of high protein easily digested foods such as boiled egg and tofu can help them.
Thank you so much

Back
Top Bottom