Baby chick out of nesting box

i would make sure the parents arent kicking it out chicks that age never come out on their own they are usually forced out because the hen wants to start another clutch if it falls out again take the female out and leave the male to wean them
I have bred many clutches of budgies before and can safely say that some chicks are just curious and test their wings, which results in them falling out

I have bred many clutches of budgies before and can safely say that some chicks are just curious and test their wings, which results in them falling out
so have I and only reason chicks that age fall out is because the females getting ready to relay once she does she will start attacking the chick until it dies

They can see the same as normal birds, no difference

So although I haven't actually witnessed it myself I do think my hen is trying /going for another clutch as she just discarded an egg from the previous clutch that wasnt viable from which our chick was born I am guessing. The chick itself has come out of the nesting box. I don't know if it was pushed out or it came out itself but it seems to be able to climb the cage. I haven't seen it fly yet. I also haven't observed the father feeding it, but since we put them in a separate room to help with breeding as soon as we enter the room I always hear the hen flee into the nesting box. I just went into the room now its past 10pm and the hen was out with the cock and she flew into the box. The chick who had been previously climbing the side of the cage and almost falling backwards is now safely sat at the bottom. It's our first chick so we are keeping a close eye. Anyone got any tips if we are just wanting mum and dad to raise the chick? Dos and don'ts?

Attachments

• 15804220273735366136661556589473.jpg
    15804220273735366136661556589473.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 7
So although I haven't actually witnessed it myself I do think my hen is trying /going for another clutch as she just discarded an egg from the previous clutch that wasnt viable from which our chick was born I am guessing. The chick itself has come out of the nesting box. I don't know if it was pushed out or it came out itself but it seems to be able to climb the cage. I haven't seen it fly yet. I also haven't observed the father feeding it, but since we put them in a separate room to help with breeding as soon as we enter the room I always hear the hen flee into the nesting box. I just went into the room now its past 10pm and the hen was out with the cock and she flew into the box. The chick who had been previously climbing the side of the cage and almost falling backwards is now safely sat at the bottom. It's our first chick so we are keeping a close eye. Anyone got any tips if we are just wanting mum and dad to raise the chick? Dos and don'ts?
Nothing, if mom and dad aren't aggressive towards it, leave it. Put a dish of seeds and water down so it learns how to eat. If they are aggressive towards it, then remove it. The chick is now old enough to eat seed and drink water and doesn't need the parents to feed it. Looks like you have a little girl chick

so have I and only reason chicks that age fall out is because the females getting ready to relay once she does she will start attacking the chick until it dies
I haven't witnessed her attacking him. Most she probably did is push the chick out of the box because she is nesting again. Its outside with the dad. I think dad is looking after it. How old are chicks when they start eating themselves?

I haven't witnessed her attacking him. Most she probably did is push the chick out of the box because she is nesting again. Its outside with the dad. I think dad is looking after it. How old are chicks when they start eating themselves?
4 weeks old, yours looks old enough, just leave a a shallow bowl of seed on the bottom of the cage and she'll learn to crack seeds on her own

Nothing, if mom and dad aren't aggressive towards it, leave it. Put a dish of seeds and water down so it learns how to eat. If they are aggressive towards it, then remove it. The chick is now old enough to eat seed and drink water and doesn't need the parents to feed it. Looks like you have a little girl chick

No they don't seem to be aggressive. Hen is more indifferent like you said. Dad seems to be watching over her.
Any name suggestions for my white chick? We never named her parents but I feel like naming her.

Back
Top Bottom