Baby chick panting

gypsycowgirln

Hatching
7 Years
Apr 4, 2012
We have a baby chick (almost a week old) that has started panting like crazy. He started yesterday and is still doing it, has not stopped. At first we thought the usual, that he was too hot from the light. The light was at least 3 feet from the chicks at the time we first noticed him panting. We moved the lamp up quite a bit more and opened the screen door on the brooder house to let some cooler air in (it was about 60 F here yesterday).

He's still panting, acting lethargic, not eating. He feels very hot to the touch when you pick him up. I put some water on his beak today during my lunchbreak and he actually went and took a couple drinks by himself (which I have not seen him do since the panting started). He seems pretty week, his wings are droopy too.

All of the other chicks are doing fine and don't seem to be overheating at all.

Any ideas on what else I might do for him?

Thanks!

I would recommend putting sugar in their water for a couple of days or until you can get to your feed store and get come "Save-a-chick" make sure his nostrils are clear and make sure he does not have a poopy butt. when he chirps does it sound normal or does he sound congested or weezy? if he sounds congested or weezy I would recommend Duramycin and save a chick just mix them together in the water 1 table spoon of Duramycin per gallon and 1 packet of save a chick per gallon of water.

The biggest thing is to make she he drinks plenty of water

Last edited:
Will do on the sugar water. He did seem to perk up a little after he drank a couple times when I was home at lunchtime to check on them.

I'll go look for some save-a-chick at our feed stores this afternoon. We do have electrolytes/vitamins in the water.

His butt isn't poopy and his nostrils seem to be clear. He doesn't sound weezy but really is not chirping at all. Just very depressed and constantly panting. He is the biggest chick of all the ones we have. Is it possibly for them to just grow too fast?

I just hope that he comes out of it. Feel sorry for him.

I am not sure if the could grow to fast ....hopefully the sugar water will help him....good luck....keep us updated!

You need to separate him just in case. Is he making any panting/gasping sounds? If not he might have Aspergillosis. It's really contagious so he needs to be separated. Even if it's not Aspergillosis whatever it is might be contagious.

Just wanted to update everyone. We tried several things and nothing worked. The poor thing was so very weak and was only getting worse. Couldn't take seeing him suffer anymore. Thank you all for your help.

Is there something I can do for the rest of the chicks now, in case it was something that was contagious. They are on medicated feed and getting vitamin/electrolytes in their water. We also changed their bedding last night.

Other than the medicated feed and electrolytes the only thing you could do is give them all Duramycin which is an antibiotic...and if you dont want your chicks having antibiotics because it will cause their egg not to be "organic" then there is nothing that I know of that will help...you would just have to hope you dont loose any more :( I am hoping the best for all your little ones....Good luck....and so sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
But at least he is not in pain any more.

Is the Duramycin something that needs a prescription and I will have to get from a vet? Or is it available without prescription to order online somewhere?

Thanks for all your help. Last night it was obvious that he was hurting. I really am glad he's not suffering anymore but sure feel bad about it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom