Baby Chick sick?

Bullfam

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2017
The Adirondack Mountains
My Coop
My Coop
Good morning BYC!

My wife and I recently got 6 baby chickens from Tractor Supply. 5 of the baby chicks are very healthy and active, one however sleeps a lot and drinks/eats very little. It barely even gets up when the other chicks are running around and run over it. I have put her by herself but she is just not active at all.

I went through and looked at her droppings, and they are normal. I listened for raspy breathing and she seems fine. She was active at Tractor Supply, and on the way home. It seems like it developed a few hours after she was introduced into the new home, a large tote with all of the food, water, bedding, and heat lamp they could want.

I felt her over and she does not appear to have any tender areas, nothing makes her chirp like she has a bruise or break. She just likes to sleep. We have tried to make her drink and we are just out of ideas. While a sick/dying chicken isn't the end of the world to me, my kids and wife are a little more sensitive about things....

Anyhow, I called our local vet and he doesn't deal with chickens. Any ideas on other things we can try?

Thank you for all your help :)

Do you have any electrolytes/nutridrench? Maybe she needs a little boost with that? You could try carefully giving her some with a syringe-- drop by drop one the side of her beak so she can drink it slowly.
Unfortunately, some of them just fail to thrive... I'm learning that the hard way.

TSC is out of vitamins. We read on one of the other threads to try watered down apple sauce. She ate a few drops and is back asleep. I'm not real hopeful she is going to make it but I have to try and save her.

You could also try syringing her a little egg yolk. They're so tiny and young, and I think sometimes there isn't too much that can be done for them. :( I've heard somewhere that something like 1 in 4 chicks doesn't make it... and you are right around there with that statistic. It is so sad when they aren't doing well. I'm very sorry. Hope the little one turns around.

She started looking good an hour or so after we got her to take the watered down apple sauce and the. She passed. Tractor Supply said they will replace her with another hen when the next shipment comes in Monday. We just wanted to do everything wecould for her. Our 6 year old is devastated over it, even though we only had her for a day. Hopefully all the others stay ok.
Thank you for all the help everyone! Our family and flock appreciates it!

Back
Top Bottom