Baby chick sick

5hens&aroo

Songster
5 Years
Apr 20, 2018
Kentucky
Baby chick is shaking rocking back and forth with labored breathing. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it. All the other sare fine. He’s a bantam chick I’ve had for about 3 weeks I believe. I’m not even home to take care of him but my little sister is trying to look after him. He won’t eat or drink or even open his eyes. Help please :(

She also sent me this pic the bone isn’t on the outside of the skin but it’s very prominent is that normal?

Attachments

• FF86CDDD-EC29-4435-803D-E81DA079FBC7.jpeg
    FF86CDDD-EC29-4435-803D-E81DA079FBC7.jpeg
    328.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DCFB0807-D09D-4FBF-A80A-5AF152D434D9.jpeg
    DCFB0807-D09D-4FBF-A80A-5AF152D434D9.jpeg
    297.8 KB · Views: 14
Baby chick is shaking rocking back and forth with labored breathing. I’m not sure what’s wrong with it. All the other sare fine. He’s a bantam chick I’ve had for about 3 weeks I believe. I’m not even home to take care of him but my little sister is trying to look after him. He won’t eat or drink or even open his eyes. Help please :(
I’m really sorry you have to go through this. Seems like your sister and you are doing the best you can for the little thing, to me it seems like it has some major birth defects as you pictured and probably neurologically. I’m not sure what you can really do I hope some else will have a better answer for you.

How is your chick doing?
Is she staying warm?
Can you take some photos of her poop?
I do agree with @famerzellman she is not doing well. Your baby may be suffering from something neurological, it's so hard to know.

Do you have an Poultry Nutri-Drench? I would give her 1-2 drops direct dose 2 times a day. Try to encourage your baby to drink a little water. See if she will eat a little wet chick starter.

Its doing okay. Last night I kept her inside gave her Gatorade and just tiny bit of food and seemed to feel better for awhile. Chirping walking around then just went to sleep. This morning she was much much better. Her poop was black last night but now it’s normal. And I put her out in the barn with the other chicks. Her crop is still really large and she still slightly off balance but she was crying and lonely so. We shall see

I would get the Poultry NutriDrench at your feed store that @Wyorp Rock recommended. She needs the vitamins in it as well as the elctrolytes. She looks very weak and with her keel or breastbone showing so prominently, she is starving. Vitamins in the PND can help her appetite. I would feed her some wet chick feed, and a little mushy egg several times a day. Is she under a heat lamp? She requires at least 80 degree heat around the clock at her age, especially since she is so weak. Her wings drooping are signs of dehydration. She really needs special care right now.

They have plenty of warmth food and water. I’ve been giving them all the mix that goes in their water. All the other chicks are healthy but also bigger than her. Maybe getting bullied away from food and water? I’m not sure why she’s the only one?

She will need to be fed separately as well as being with the others, to make sure that she is getting enough. She is weak, maybe suffering from failure to thrive, but is lacking the ability to get what she needs without a lot of extra care and support. Many might cull a chick like this, but she might have a chance with extra attention.

Back
Top Bottom