Baby chick that wont grow!

JDVess

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Shelby, N.C.
We bought some cochins a while back. They are all Growing so to speak and feather out great except for one. The chick is doing great but just wont grow or feather out for some reason. lol. They are about 6 weeks old and it looks the exact same as it did when we got it a month or better ago. Anyone else have this yet? It literally only looks like its a week old.

this is off topic a little but I have a chick with a curled toe. I made a boot and I was going to add pedialyte to her water but I was unsure if I should dilute it or not - and if so dilute it by how much?
I would really appreciate any advice I could get!

I'm having the same problem with a Columbian Wyandotte that I got about six weeks ago. His "hatch mates" are doing fine and growing. They have even been moved outside to the brooder house but this little guy just eats, drinks, and doesn't grow. Not even his feathers...he looks like he is wearing a suit of feathers that is too small. When the next hatches came out he got put in with them. Now they are almost 4 weeks old and have out grown this guy. I've raised chickens for awhile and never have I run into this either. i hate to cull this guy...although he will never be used for breeding stock now but I am at a loss too. I just don't want you to think you are alone in this... I do have a soft spot for the runts.
idunno.gif

I had a midget chicken. She was an EE leghorn cross, just traded her for a new roo... She was 12 weeks and about the size of a 6 week old chick. She just wouldn't grow after about 2 weeks and really never did much growing... She was healthy though.

I had a BLRW that stayed at about 8 week old size even up to a year old It's feathering was way off too no lacing. Couldn't tell gender either. Finally last week I noticed a sickle feather that is just grew. That mini rooster went a swap and will is going to freezer camp. Must of been some mutation or deformed genes. I always meant to take pictures but I never did get anything. It was the weirdest thing ever.

I have one, too.
Others are growing fine, but she is so small.
She is eating, drinking, snacking fine, healthy and feathering fine.
She didn't start small, but around 1.5weeks, I started notice she wasn't same.
They are 3weeks old and her leg size is other finger size.

I will take some pics tomorrow. I had to go to the auction tonight and see what all they had. Bought 8 dozen eggs of a mix of red comet and buffs. lol. But yeah, the little chick eats and drinks just fine. Perfect health other than still having the baby feathers and super small. Like I said, its siblings are about 7 to 8 weeks by now and it looks like its about 2 weeks. lol.

Back
Top Bottom