Baby chick treats?

At one day old I think it is best to just feed chick starter feed. But the best treat, in my opinion, for the first 4 weeks is boiled egg peeled and crushed into tiny pieces. The egg yolk has everything in it that a baby chick needs to develop, is soft enough that they don't need grit to digest it, and they love to eat it.
smile.png
I have given egg to day old chicks that were having trouble figuring out eating....they seem to find it easier to swallow then the chick crumbles.

I do not feed my chicks anything beyond starter for the first week or so. You do not want to fill up their little bellies with anything not super rich in nutrients. They then get some hard boiled eggs, mashed, some greens, and maybe a bit of boiled grain mush.

I'm fairly new to having chicks, but the six girls I have (they are 1 week old) love to eat egg yolk cut up into fine pieces. They also love the Chick Starter mixed with some warm water. I give this to them separate from their regular food (makes cleaning up a lot easier!) Anyway, they gobble up both foods listed like there is no tomorrow. It also seems to help them "bond" with me - some more than others. Also, I use a certain call when I have a "treat" hoping they remember it and come to me once they move outside. Only time will tell.
Best of luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom