Treats for Chicks

MarkRainbolt

Songster
Apr 30, 2022
Saint James Missouri
Was wondering if anyone gives their chick’s treats? I bought some freeze dried mealworms and was going to boil up a couple of eggs for them. At what age do you all start giving treats to your chicks?
Mark

Was wondering if anyone gives their chick’s treats? I bought some freeze dried mealworms and was going to boil up a couple of eggs for them. At what age do you all start giving treats to your chicks?
Mark
I like to give mine fresh herbs. It's not exacly like a treat but they love to pick at them and it's good for them too.

If you’re going to give treats be sure they have access to grit. The chicks won’t process the treats in their crop the same was as starter crumble. You should be able to find the grit at a feed store. Depending on how old they are, if you’re letting them out on the ground often, they will probably pick some up that way too.

That said, they really don’t need treats and depending on the nutrient contents and quantity of treats it may actually slow development.

For something like dried mealworms, 1-2 weeks old is fine. I only use treats for training though. When they're younger I crumble up the mealworms a bit so I can feed smaller pieces more frequently, rather than just letting them gobble up 2 mealworms and calling it a day. I do have my chicks on grit from the start.

One of the first things my broody hens do when they bring the chicks off of the nest is to take them where they can peck at the ground. They get grit from that as well as bits of vegetation and such you might call "treats". Then the broody takes them where they can peck at different things, dead or alive, plant or animal as well as feed I make available for them.

You are not a broody hen and your chicks do not have the freedom to roam like mine do with a broody hen taking care of them. As long as you keep the treats to a small part of their overall diet there is nothing to stop you from letting them have a treat. Just offer them grit and don't overdo it.

Back
Top Bottom