baby chick treats

How old do my new chicks have to be before I can give them some treats, what kind of treats do you start out with?

Hi, my personal opinion and practice, is no treats for the first 6 weeks. The reason is that they are growing and doubling in size each week during that time. The chick starter has all the protein and vital nutrients they need for rapid growth and feathering. If you want to add treats either now or at 6 weeks, I recommend hard boiled or scrambled eggs and meal worms. both are high in protein so that they are still getting what they need nutritionally. As soon as you add more solid treats (such as crickets, alfalfa, greens, scratch) the chicks will need chick grit to digest these things. Many people start treats earlier than I do, it's a personal choice really. The chick's pallet is narrow much like a human infant. At first they may have no interest in what you offer,either because it's weird/new or it does not have the nutrition they are seeking. For instance, you may put in apple sauce and they ignore it but they go crazy for meal worms. Let your birds be your guide.
smile.png

thank you for the info. I will wait a few more weeks before giving them anything I know one od tem grabbed l which I thought was hysterical because the other 5 chick just cased her around the brooder trying to get it.

Back
Top Bottom