Baby chick vaccination or not?

I order my vaccines from Randall Burkey and Twin Cities Poultry Supply. There are directions that come with the vaccine regarding how to reconstitute the vaccine. Giving shots to the chicks is easy, and while they may squirm and chirp- I think they do that because they have been taken away from their friends, not because the vaccination is painful. There are some great videos on Youtube that show how to properly vaccinate a chick.

I order my vaccines from Randall Burkey and Twin Cities Poultry Supply. There are directions that come with the vaccine regarding how to reconstitute the vaccine. Giving shots to the chicks is easy, and while they may squirm and chirp- I think they do that because they have been taken away from their friends, not because the vaccination is painful. There are some great videos on Youtube that show how to properly vaccinate a chick.

Thanks I will look them up...

we are getting our first baby chicks this year. we have never had chickens. I had no idea there was so many diseases to vaccinate against. I will be picking them up from a feed store near us. I was informed from a friend they will vaccinate for your or get the chicks in already vaccinated. Going to call tomorrow to make sure of what my options are.

I would get them vaccinated for Mareks disease or do it yourself before the chicks are exposed to the outside or adult birds. I order my mareks vaccine from first state vet online. It's kept cool through the entire shipping process and comes with clear easy to understand instructions which I would follow to a tee. The vaccine goes under the skin on the back of the neck.

I have had Parrot for years. Umbrella Cockatoo, African Grey, Indian Ringneck Parakeet and Green Cheek Conure. I worked at a Exotic Pet store years and years ago. It always freaked me out to give the birds shots... it still does !!!! My hope is that they come vaccinated . This is stupid question... Presently we have our Ringneck Kiwi. We have had him for 18 yrs. since he was 8 wks old. Should I be concerned over my baby chicks and him ? Everyone knows to always wash their hands before and after handling the baby chicks once they arrive.
Thank you for your reply.

I am so new to the chick world and this is the first I've heard of them coming un-vaccinated or vaccinated. Is this something I should be asking. Also which is better, ordering from a backyard breeder or finding a hatchery. I don't even think we have hatcheries here. TIA (Sorry for hijacking your thread :))

We have local farms that sell fresh eggs and we have always bought eggs from them. Last time we were there my daughter asked if they raised chicks which sent me spiraling into Urban Farming research. :) I've raised horses my entire life only had wild chickens and a very nasty mean rooster lol

Back
Top Bottom