1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick with a broken foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by I Love My Chkns, Mar 21, 2017.

1. I Love My Chkns

I Love My Chkns Just Hatched

Mar 12, 2017
    Massachusetts
    Someone asked me to help them because their baby chick broke it's foot[​IMG]. What should I do?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    We would need more details and perhaps a picture. Sprains are common, and sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is the foot or the leg. Is the foot swollen? Are there any sores on the bottom of the foot (bumble foot infection) that might be hurting it? Sometimes a cotton ball in the ball of the foot and wrapping the foot in paper tape or vet wraps strips can help. Sometimes a shoe might work better. Other times it might help just to keep the chicken from running around, or keep it penned for a week or two. If it is a tiny chick, it might be okay to leave it alone unless the other chicks are hurting it. Here is a splinting manual with pictures of splinting:
    https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by