Baby chick with bloat tummy can't poo

Terri E

Songster
Aug 24, 2016
Onalaska, Tx
Hello, I've tried to search for a thread concerning my dilemma on my 3 week old bab chick. Yesterday, I noticed he seemed a little less energetic but thought nothing of it since he was dozing off.

This morning, he still seemed strange, so picked him up and noticed caked dried poo on his vent, blocking future poo. I quickly looked at the other chicks and they are all normal, moving very quickly and much alert. Not like this little guy.

I took him into the bathroom running hot water (it takes time to warm up). Using a Qtip, slowly wetting around the edge of the dried poo to remove it. When part f the vent was clear a little poo escaped. But still worked on that nasty little dried poo.

Finally gotten everything off, I noticed he looked bloated. Belly s the size of a jumbo cotton ball. Still is! I have a neighbor who told me to lift up his vent as possible and tap, not squeeze his belly slowly like massaging it to get the rest of the build up poo.

All this was from around 9am. It s now past 2:30pm and belly still bloated, looked like he tried to poo but never can out.

What can I do!?

I am using both jumbo cotton balls, Luke warm water, and Qtip to clean and trying to remove those build up poo. Also trying to keep him warm. The chicks hatched after him, nothing wrong at all.

Always have clean water, still in brooder, food, and litter changed.

Please Help.

Did try to load pictures but won't let me.

Last edited:
I would get the chick drinking water by dipping it’s beak for a second, and if you have electrolytes or Poultry Nutridrench add them. If you have coconut oil, mineral oil, or castor oil, I would give up to 5 ml (a tsp) just a drop at a time or in some food. That should get things moving. What do you feed them? They will need some chick grit if they eat grass or foods other than chick starter. What type of beeding are you using?

I would get the chick drinking water by dipping it’s beak for a second, and if you have electrolytes or Poultry Nutridrench add them. If you have coconut oil, mineral oil, or castor oil, I would give up to 5 ml (a tsp) just a drop at a time or in some food. That should get things moving. What do you feed them? They will need some chick grit if they eat grass or foods other than chick starter. What type of beeding are you using?

For beding, I use fine shavings from TS. For feed, starter.
I do have virgin coconut oil and olive oil which I cook with. No mineral oil or castor oil, but that's a thought to get. Have not given any to him. Did dip his beak into water and he does drink a little but not much. The only electrolytes I have is for toddlers. Don't know if I can give that to him. Am thinking of getting grits, just now, especially since you mentioned it. They are not eating grass or any other food. Should I have them start?

Chick starter is fine and all they need, but when they are getting outside or being fed any treats, chick grit would be good. When they are about 10 weeks old, they can have adult grit. Some chicks will eat bedding or other non-food things that can cause blockages.

Since you have coconut oil, I would go ahead and give a little to lube the tubes. Is the chick eating? One way to get water into them aside from dipping the beak, is to add a lot of wayer to a little bowl of chick feed to make it runny.

When adding water, add it to be like oatmeal, or to be like mush? I'm asking cause some people have different thinking on the word runny.
Coconut oil, just to be correct (I constantly have migraines so I forget and get confused a lot), give it by mouth? I don't have a dropper. Plus reading back you did say 5 ml, correct?

Chick starter is fine and all they need, but when they are getting outside or being fed any treats, chick grit would be good. When they are about 10 weeks old, they can have adult grit. Some chicks will eat bedding or other non-food things that can cause blockages.

Since you have coconut oil, I would go ahead and give a little to lube the tubes. Is the chick eating? One way to get water into them aside from dipping the beak, is to add a lot of wayer to a little bowl of chick feed to make it runny.

Well, thank you for trying to help.

He died this morning in my hands at 8:35 AM.

Now I know the signs if something may be wrong. Don't know how long he had it when I saw it, but if I'd known the warning signs, it would have made a difference.

He had Pasty Butt. If not caught right away, the blockage of other waste can be deadly. Such as it was in this case. I have tried my best but was late in catching it as I stated. He would have been beautiful.

Now you know. We all learn through hard times. It's hard now but you'll be a better chicken mama for it. Sorry for your loss.

Back
Top Bottom