1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chick with curved toes...what does this mean and how do I fix it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by oconnorfamily25, Sep 25, 2010.

1. oconnorfamily25

oconnorfamily25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    one of my babies has two curved toes that won't straighten. is there some kind of splint I can make for her?

2. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    i would first try a b2 supplement.. sounds like it needs extra riboflavin.... sounds like "curly toed paralysis" I had gotten a full grown hen with this problem. I found a supplement at walgreenss ... it was a b complex liquid supplement, but eggs are a good source of riboflavin as well.... my full grown hen would not tolerate the splint taht I made for her but a chick probably would... maybe out of pipe cleaners or something...

3. HeritageHens

HeritageHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Orygun
    If it is a vitamin B deficiency, like what happened with my EE, I crushed up a B-50, mixed it with a tiny bit of yogurt, and gave her as much as I could 3 times daily. By the 2nd dose (aobut 6 hours after the first), she was finally able to stand without falling on her haunches and her toes started to uncurl. She's fine today, well, except I think she is a he. [​IMG] Search for vitamin B therapy to read about the stories of others.

I switched food after this since a decent food shouldn't allow a deficiency to occur. I ditched the junky Nutrena and started feeding a locally made organic food.

Good luck!

ETA: Others suggest getting the infant Poly-vi-sol drops without iron at a pharmacy. Dribble some along the beak to encourage her to swallow, making sure none gets up her nose (nares??). I've also added the Rooster Booster Vitamin and Electrolyte supplement to their water and will keep doing so until they are not growing so quickly.

BTW. If this is the problem, the solution will be a quick and dramatic turn around and any extra vitamin B is flushed out of her system.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  4. Chrizjen

Chrizjen Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2010
    St. Louis
    did you have any luck?[​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by