baby chick with deformed beak

willy3486

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 30, 2010
I ordered some baby chicks from a hatchery. Its been a few weeks since I got them about 3 weeks ago. we have about 35 chicks and I had noticed something odd about one for a while. I don't pick them up unless I have to,mainly I check on them throughout the day and feed/water them. It looked like one had something stuck to it by its beak but seemed to still have it this weekend. I was able to catch it as I thought I would remove what was stuck on it. But after getting it I saw that it was the chicks beak. The bottom part is curved to one side and the two beak parts do not align up. I think due to its fullness it is able to eat, the bottom beak had feed in it. So I don't think its not getting nourishment. Has anyone had this to happen? If so when it got older was there anything you had to different, like feed it a certain way? So far other than the beak it seems happy and fine. I don't have pictures but I will try to get some.

I didn't get a notification on this post and just remembered it so I checked.I haven't got a picture yet but I did do a search for scissor beak and that is what it looks like. It is eating and getting bigger but not as big as the other chicks. What we may do is to keep it with our ducks when it gets grown. Our ducks seem to get along and not fight with chickens but some of the other chicks are picking at this deformed chick. Our duck food is full of protien and usually wet due to being ducks so I think it would be a good balance.

I have a 12 week old EE with scissor beak and to be honest with you, I haven't interfered with it at all and it is eating and drinking perfectly fine. I believe it will live just as long as the rest of my EE. It's a really common deformity from big hatcheries.

Back
Top Bottom