Baby chick with hurt foot (Please help!)

Yup! I know what your saying. I tried to take pictures, but she was trying to balance so sorry if they're blurry >-<

As you can see, she holds up her leg, and the front toes are curled. Do you think its the whole leg thats injured, or just the toes?

I would get a little piece of triangular shaped (cut to fit) thin cardboard, like from a cereal box. Cut to fit her foot when the toes are spread. Taper her foot to the cardboard with toes flat, as foot would be if on the ground.

Don't give up yet IF you are a small flock owner. A taped foot and a week inside and you may see almost full recovery!

Did you by any chance happen to click on the link to The Chicken Chick that I left for you? She has photos and easy directions on how to treat the kind of foot problem your chick has. The sooner you treat it, the better chance the chick has of a good outcome.

Yes, I did look at the link you left. We took care of her foot with the little boot made out of cardboard and surgical tape. I went to check on her this morning, and it seemed to have fallen off, but her toes were straight! I watched her for a while, and she holds her leg down, but favors her foot. She just holds it off the ground. I'll keep watching her.

Good news! This morning she was using both legs! She has a limp, but I think that will get better over time. I'm just so happy she's able to put her foot down!

Okay so, about a day ago, she was able to fully walk again without limping. We put her back with mom, and she's doing really good! Hopefully there will be no more problems, thank you guys so much for helping!

Back
Top Bottom