Baby chick with hurt leg

You are facing an issue that presents no clues other than the one symptom. So you will just need to treat that. Vitamin B-2 is riboflavin and the most common vitamin B deficiency in new chicks showing up in the first week. You can get the best amount of riboflavin by buying B-100 complex. It will have other B-vitamins that a new chick may also be short on. These B- vitamins are critical for feeding nerve connections that may be weak.

I would dose the chick in two ways. Dissolve a tablet each day in the water the chick drinks. Other chicks can drink it, too. In addition, dissolve another B-100 tablet in a fourth cup of water mixed fresh each day and syringed directly into the chicks beak several times a day for a couple of days.

Keep providing this B-complex water mix until the chick is walking normally.

To safely syringe water into a baby chick, pry open the beak and use an eye dropper or narrow syringe to drip the fluid into the right side of the beak.
I currently have liquid B12 compound, will that still be OK or do I specifically need B100?

B-12 is one B-vitamin. It doesn't include riboflavin. B-100 contains all of the Bs with generous amounts of riboflavin.

You certainly may use the B-12, but it may not be the B-vitamin your chick could be short on.

B-12 is one B-vitamin. It doesn't include riboflavin. B-100 contains all of the Bs with generous amounts of riboflavin.

You certainly may use the B-12, but it may not be the B-vitamin your chick could be short on.
Ty! I will swing by after work and get some B100! What would the ratio need to be when dissolving into the drinking water?

B-vitamins are water soluble. That means dosage is not a critical factor since any excess consumed simply is eliminated in the urates.

If you use the quart size chick water bottle, just dissolve one tablet in that fresh each day, and do the more concentrated dose of one tablet in one fourth cup water in addition. If the chick gets more B-vitamins than it can use, it just comes out in the poop, which will tend to be yellow and a tad stinky. This is normal.

B-vitamins are water soluble. That means dosage is not a critical factor since any excess consumed simply is eliminated in the urates.

If you use the quart size chick water bottle, just dissolve one tablet in that fresh each day, and do the more concentrated dose of one tablet in one fourth cup water in addition. If the chick gets more B-vitamins than it can use, it just comes out in the poop, which will tend to be yellow and a tad stinky. This is normal.
Thank you so much! I will start this today!

The right leg appears to be causing the chick considerable pain. Have you looked for obvious pecking injuries? Is there a chance the chick was dropped? Look the leg over again. If you compare it to the left leg, something may become apparent about why the right leg is giving the chick trouble.
I just got home from work and noticed a good size lump on my gimpy chick's right foot! This could have been there and just gotten worse to where it is now visible. It's always something else however whatever caused this lump could be why her foot seems a bit more painful than it has been. If it is broken will it cause a problem if it heals incorrectly?

On the foot? A toe? Toe tip? Or leg? Any injury on the toes will self correct. If a toe injury is severe, the toe may fall off. The swelling indicates it may do just that.

On the leg, that's a more serious matter. Injuries not corrected on the leg will set in a week or two and will be permanent.

But pain can be severe enough on a tiny toe to rob the chick of appetite and mobility to the extent it may become weak from hunger and dehydration.

Cortisone cream may be enough to relieve the pain and swelling. Use sparingly and rub it in so the chick doesn't eat it off. Apply twice a day.

On the foot? A toe? Toe tip? Or leg? Any injury on the toes will self correct. If a toe injury is severe, the toe may fall off. The swelling indicates it may do just that.

On the leg, that's a more serious matter. Injuries not corrected on the leg will set in a week or two and will be permanent.

But pain can be severe enough on a tiny toe to rob the chick of appetite and mobility to the extent it may become weak from hunger and dehydration.

Cortisone cream may be enough to relieve the pain and swelling. Use sparingly and rub it in so the chick doesn't eat it off. Apply twice a day.
On the foot where the toes join together 😬 I need to get a Pic of it but you can clearly see swelling from top and bottom of the foot

Have you been seeing that she's eating and drinking? Pain causes baby chicks not to want to do these simple survival actions.

Warm sugar water immediately and use the cortisone to reduce the pain. Then try to get the chick to eat finely minced boiled egg after it revives.

Back
Top Bottom