Baby chick with Leg broken

arwoon

-Elevensies-
5 Years
Jun 19, 2017
We got a batch of 25 chicks shipped to us from Murray McMurray hatchery two weeks ago, when they arrived, one of the chicks (we thought) had splayed leg. We tried the hobble and everything, and she was put in a separate brooder from the other chicks. (Her leg would shake and the the other chicks went after it) she did not seem to be improving, she acted as if she were afraid to put weight on her foot, but we couldn't find anything broken.
I had to leave shortly after that for a week and my family took care of her. When I got back the leg had not improved, and it looks like it was broken an the knee. She still is active and will sometimes scratch herself with the injured leg, (still however not putting any weight on it) she has gotten pretty good at hopping around without it also. I am assuming it is most definitely to late (it has been two weeks) to try to re-set it as it has likely grown out quite a bit. I am now wondering what the best course of action is for her, I am already planning to build her a separate coop adjacent to our current one that she can live in when she grows up without the stress of competing as much with flock mates for resources. (we have an older hen with a head injury that would live with her.) My question is, will her leg cause problems for her as she grows? Would it be better to amputate her leg at the knee, and if so, how would I go about doing that? Would leaving it on cause problems?
Her toes and foot are stiffer on the injured leg. I feel really bad for not catching the break soon enough, and any advise would be greatly appreciated!
Here are pics: (when I figure out how to post a video I will try to upload one)
7164E450-F703-4BD5-910D-9DEFE628E799.jpeg
1ABF0D08-0CDC-4BAB-8F65-9E89FE7F7955.jpeg

Also, the little white thing on her leg is a piece of paper.

Can you get clearer photos of the joint?
Is it hot to touch, infected or scabbed? Looks like it's scabbed up to me. Probably ruptured at some point.

I would not attempt to amputate the leg at home. If you determine the leg does need to be amputated, then seeking vet care is your best course of action.

As for how well she'll be able to get around as she gets older, no one can say. It's one of those things that time will tell. Some birds are able to adapt and thrive, others cannot.

Is it hot to touch, infected or scabbed? Looks like it's scabbed up to me. Probably ruptured at some point.

I would not attempt to amputate the leg at home. If you determine the leg does need to be amputated, then seeking vet care is your best course of action.

As for how well she'll be able to get around as she gets older, no one can say. It's one of those things that time will tell. Some birds are able to adapt and thrive, others cannot.
x2 and you can use a tooth pick and Bandaid as a splint to try to help

Here are some more photos:
2484C54B-BBAA-4D42-81AC-1ADD6EB578F1.jpeg
E0A8BA99-0CB7-43C9-994A-B609D226C555.jpeg
8B8C42F5-6B3E-4770-8E9A-BB83C38A05FB.jpeg

It is not warm to the touch, but there does appear to be a scab.
Do you think an amputation would increase the chances of her being able to ‘thrive’? Or make it easier for her to get around?
Thank you for your reply!

The joint is swollen and looks like it's ruptured, possibly infected.

This is not a leg I would attempt to splint.

I suggest that you consult a vet to see if there's anything that can be done.
Thank you for your input!

Back
Top Bottom