baby chick with really unusual behaviour

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jamiesc, Feb 19, 2015.

1. jamiesc

jamiesc Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2014
    I hatched two chicks one Plymouth rock and one wheaten maran
    They were normal for the first day or so until today the wheaten maran It stands up and its head is off centre and it sleeps on its side like shes dust bathing but kinda look like shes having spasms and you touch her she jumps and stands for a while But when you hold her in your hand she puts her head inbetween her legs and goes to sleep
    Shes 5 days old
    The Plymouth rock is full of life and she looks at the wheaten maran like what are you doin

Can someone tell me and give me a sence of what might be going on
    And help much appreciated
    Jamie

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chick may be having symptoms of wry neck or encephalomalacia, which can be a neurological sign of vitamin deficiency. This is also called star gazing or crook neck, and the pictures below are of chicks affected. I would immediately start poultry vitamins in the water containing thiamine (vitamin B1,) vitamin E, and the mineral selenium which is also found in eggs. Poultry Nutri-Drench or Poultry Cell brands of vitamins contain all 3, and it can be given orally undiluted according to the package directions. Here is a good article about wry neck:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by