Baby chick with swollen eye

MarkHighwind

Hatching
8 Years
Oct 15, 2011
Hi,
I was googling this problem and found your forum, hope you can help me
sad.png
I'm attaching 2 pics of the affected baby chick, only one eye is swollen, she will occasionally open the eye but not 100% of the time, eating, drinking and pooping normally but when eating she kinda turns her head to the left and feeds like that. She's also active, but not as much as the other 3 chicks that hatched with her.
I don't know what to do
sad.png
And we won't have vets available for a few days...
Thank you for your time!

EDIT: also, I have a problem with another chick now (why me ;_; ), his.. um, I'm not sure what's the "proper" term since I'm not a native english speaker, but his bum has been bleeding a bit, and we've had to clean his poop with a q-tip. Should I isolate both of them?

wpJaS.jpg

cBFwV.jpg

Last edited:
I'd isolate both chicks from the rest to avoid the chance of something contagious spreading and them being picked on.

From what I've read, you can get terramycin ointment at your local drug store and apply that directly to the swollen area. If you can, it may be a good idea to get him to the vet as soon as they're opened for antibiotics.

As for the other one, it sounds like they have a bad case of pasty butt. Mix 1 part apple cider vinegar to 4 parts water and apply to the blocked areas. Make sure you treat this right away as blockages are deadly if left alone.

Hope I helped.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom