2 Week old Baby Chick Panting?! Emergency!

TinaRew

Chirping
Aug 4, 2022
Glenmoore, PA
A friend of mine has baby chicks and one of them is panting and not eating. Any reason a baby chick would be panting? No other signs of respiratory illness like gunk in the eyes or nose, nothing wrong with her vent either. Crop seems empty compared to the others. She just is panting hard and keeping her (one) eye closed. Not sure what suggestions or meds or whatever to give her. Also it dosen't appear too hot in her brooder and the other chicks are fine.

A friend of mine has baby chicks and one of them is panting and not eating. Any reason a baby chick would be panting? No other signs of respiratory illness like gunk in the eyes or nose, nothing wrong with her vent either. Crop seems empty compared to the others. She just is panting hard and keeping her (one) eye closed. Not sure what suggestions or meds or whatever to give her. Also it dosen't appear too hot in her brooder and the other chicks are fine.
Is there a cooler area in the brooder for the chicks to escape to? Some chicks are more sensitive to heat than others. I agree with @nuthatched, try dipping her beak in some water. You can even add a little sugar if you don't have Nutridrench on hand

Back
Top Bottom