Diarrhea 1 week old chick

sunshineviljella

Hatching
Mar 25, 2024
Hello Everyone
It's my first time raising baby chicks and I've noticed one of our girls is having loose stools. I reached out to the hatchery who mentioned it may be from the vaccine (antibodies) however it doesn't seem to be improving and none of the other chicks are having diarrhea. She is still eating and drinking well. Occasionally will close her eyes while standing (not sure this is normal?) Or a sign of illness? Is there anything I could/should be doing for her to see if the loose stools resolve? I haven't noticed any blood in her stools from what I can tell. Everyone else seems to be healthy, pooping normal. Thanks for any help/suggestions.
~April

I am having the same issue with one of my chicks as well. I actually was just about to create a thread about it but saw this one. Would you be able to post a picture of it?

I know I have heard that sometimes chick poops can be all over the place with consistency but I don’t feel like this is normal.

Here is a picture of mine image.jpg

I am having the same issue with one of my chicks as well. I actually was just about to create a thread about it but saw this one. Would you be able to post a picture of it?

I know I have heard that sometimes chick poops can be all over the place with consistency but I don’t feel like this is normal.

Here is a picture of mineView attachment 3799330
Sorry for the delay! I forgot to check this for a response. Mine are still having it on/off. I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the food/treats as it seems worse after they have fly larvae. I'll attach a pic. I hope your chicks are doing well!

Attachments

• 20240424_084829.jpg
    20240424_084829.jpg
    810.3 KB · Views: 0
Sorry for the delay! I forgot to check this for a response. Mine are still having it on/off. I'm starting to wonder if it's related to the food/treats as it seems worse after they have fly larvae. I'll attach a pic. I hope your chicks are doing well!
I don’t think it would be the fly larvae as I haven’t noticed anything different after but I wouldn’t dismiss it.

And thanks! Mine all seem to be doing good! A couple others ended up starting to have it as well but I have only noticed one that has kept having it but I haven’t noticed any in a couple of days.

And just thought I would ask, are you using electrolytes of any kind? I didn’t realize that it is only supposed to be used for a couple of days so I used it for about a week/week and a half. After I stopped it mostly cleared up.

Do you think there could be a temperature issue? What are the temperatures (warm and cool side)?

Chicks that young should be getting chick feed and clean water, not a bunch of extra things.
They would be close to 3 weeks old though. I have heard that you can start feeding treats/extras at 1.5-2 weeks old and eggs can pretty much be fed from day one.

Back
Top Bottom